Select Loop operator in Houdini

9114   7   0
17 posts
Hi all,

It's me again.

While I was doing the spoon tutorial, I saw that he is selecting loops, etc. Is this an operator too? If not, why?

Thanks.
Staff
1182 posts
The selection loops use the hotkeys available in the RMB-menu found when you are either in the handle tool or the select tool. These are devices used for speeding up the selection process and do not require a node. The nodes are placed down when you are acting on the selection.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
17 posts
Thanks Robert. This is interesting. I am just trying to think in terms of pure node based system, wouldn't it help to have these as separate operators?

Thanks.
243 posts
It actually happened to me where I wished there would be such a node, where I could procedurally select a edge and than have a edgeloop select(or edge split) node to process it…I think it's a good point.
JR Gauthier
Character Animation & Design
www.turboatomic.com
http://www.vimeo.com/user2847970 [vimeo.com]
243 posts
It actually happened to me where I wished there would be such a node, where I could procedurally select a edge and than have a edgeloop select(or edge split) node to process it…I think it's a good point.
JR Gauthier
Character Animation & Design
www.turboatomic.com
http://www.vimeo.com/user2847970 [vimeo.com]
17 posts
Thanks JR. I am glad it makes sense. I would imagine it would cause more overhead but seems like it would bring more power to the artist.
13 posts
I need exactly this now too, anyone have an idea?
Staff
1182 posts
You can hold a selection in a group node (I noticed that bioforce is asking about his in another thread) and that group can then be used as the selection in future nodes. There are procedural ways of generating groups or you can create the group from a hand-picked selection. One limitation is that only face and point selections can be set up as groups and any edge selection is converted to points. Edge groups is a request we are aware of but is not available at the moment.

If you want to create an edge loop cut then you can use the Polysplit tool. click once on the edge you want to cut then press Enter. Go to the parameter pane and set Path Type to Quad Strip and the choose Close Path. This will give you and edge loop cut.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links