Houdini Apprentice and the channel editor

6328   5   1
38 posts
I'm running Houdini Apprentice on a Dell laptop running 32 bit Windows Vista. For some reason, entering the channel editor causes Houdini Appretnice to crash. I have restarted my computer several times. That didn't solve the problem. I was using Houdini Apprentice 9.5.248, so I removed that and downloaded 9.5.379. I am still having the problem. I have 4GB of RAM, so I would imagine memory is not an issue. Has anyone had a similar issue?
156 posts
The problem is you are using Vista …. That aside, if its a consistent error that you can reproduce again and again, you should submit a bug. Which sounds like this might be a bug. Does it happen when you use the hotkey, or the RMB>Scope Channels, or if you RMB on the parameter and tell it to scope the channel? Does it happen for all three times? Have you tried it on a clean scene and does it still crash? If you can answer yes to 2 or more of these questions, its probably a bug.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Staff
5161 posts
What video hardware do you have, along with the driver version?
38 posts
I'm using a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M. I'm not sure what the driver version is. I'm going to try some of moonlightkiss' suggestions and see what happens.
38 posts
This happens when I launch Houdini and then click on the Channel Editor tab. I can also crash Houdini by clicking the RMB on a parameter and selecting either Scope Channels or Scope Append Channels as well as using the hot keys. I have seen the same result with a fresh file as well as previously saved files.

A colleague at work has suggested that a file in my config directory may have become corrupted. I noticed this problem started yesterday after I was doing a lot of animating in the Channel Editor. I'm going to blow away the config directory and see what happens.
38 posts
I blew away the config directory. I launched a fresh scene and clicked on the Channel Editor tab. Houdini still crashed. Any other suggestions or should I report this problem as a bug?
  • Quick Links