Problems Licensing Houdini Apprentice in Fedora 11

3955   4   0
4 posts
I recently downloaded the 64-bit version of Houdini Apprentice Edition to use on my Linux box. I'm currently running Fedora 11 64-bit, and it seems to have installed all right, but when I go to register the license, it won't accept my server.

I understand that Fedora sets the hostname to localhost.localdoman when it installs, and that's what the license server doesn't like, but what should it be? The system isn't part of any big network; it's just a home system that gets onto the Internet occasionally just like a Windows box.

Right now I'm holding off on getting the HD version until I can get the free one working. I know there's a simple fix for this, and perhaps someone could help me find it.
7709 posts
Have you tried running the network configuration tool from the menu? I'm not familiar with fedora but that's what it sounds like you should be doing from some simple googling. Something called “system-config-network”
519 posts
A quick and dirty hack might be to add a host name to /etc/hosts. Just add something like 192.168.0.1 mycomp.localdomain mycomp. If you run the licenseserver again it should accept licenses.
4 posts
Thanx. I'll try that.
4 posts
edward
Have you tried running the network configuration tool from the menu? I'm not familiar with fedora but that's what it sounds like you should be doing from some simple googling. Something called “system-config-network”

From what I understand, Fedora is a lot like RHEL, except Red Hat doesn't officially offer support for it or make you pay for it. Supposedly all the features that eventually end up in RHEL get tested out in Fedora first.
  • Quick Links