Basic usage question: Fluids and keyframes?

2298   1   0
14 posts
Hello.

I'm completely new to Houdini, but not so to 3D graphics software in general. And yet I haven't turned many of my creations into animations.

I see the basics, of how one can create a liquid container, and a fluid source linked to it, which can be made to start creating a fluid at some arbitrary frame number. But now my question becomes, what happens if after some later frame number I want the source to stop emitting liquid, but for the animation to continue?

I see that there are some “animatable” parameters for the drop-network, but can't recognize what each one means. Where would I link it to a later keyframe, that the source just stops acting as a source, or that the rate at which it emits should change?

Dirk
1631 posts
Hi,

First of all, welcome to the forums!

I highly recommend going through the Learning Roadmap found under the Learning section at the top of the page. In addition, there is an Introduction to Fluid Dynamics in Houdini [sidefx.com] which will give you a better understanding of how the various fluid systems work & are implemented.

To answer your question, there is a Source Relationship DOP which you can animate the Activation parameter to stop the source. 1 is on while 0 is off.

Have fun!

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links