Apprentice HD: unable to install

6219   9   2
55 posts
Hi there,

I recently downloaded App. HD and half way through the installation process the dialogue box displaying the progress bar just cut out. Despite further attempts, I cannot get pst this stage of the installation process.

I'm running an 8 core 64 bit system (Windows 7 pro) using a quadro fx4800 card.

Hope somebody can help.

Many thanks,

Helene
Helene
130 posts
Hi,

Maybe a corrupted download? Have you tried re-downloading the app? H.10 seems to be running smoothly on Win.7/x64

Cheers,
Greg
55 posts
Thanks Greg,

Yes. I ‘ve re-downloaded H10 around 5 times - all the while, the installation process cuts out at around 25%. I heard back from technical support, and after following their initial suggestions it’s still not installing. I was all set to get started with Houdini today, too. Best laid plans and all…

Many thanks for your suggestion though.

Best,

Helene
Helene
130 posts
I've never heard of such issue before, but.. thinking aloud:

- around 25% H is still copying files. So, either a file cannot be read, or written. You've redownloaded, so the only other reason why a file cannot be read/copied (that I can think of) is antivir software. Tried disabling it?
As for writing, I assume you are installing from and admin account?

Is there a particular file, that is being displayed as copied by the installer, when the process breaks?

G.
55 posts
Hi Greg,

A little embarrassing, but it was my new security software - thought I'd completely disabled it - I hadn't. I must say though, at around the 80% mark it hovered around the gfont string, bu then continued and completed.

Many thanks for yours and Rafal (@support),

Best wishes,

Helene (and yes, I'm blonde - lol)
Helene
130 posts
I'm glad things worked after all.

A little embarrassing
(and yes, I'm blonde - lol)

Hehe… I'm not, yet I'd not dare to enter a competition for the most embarassing mistake of the month, for a fear I could win. Luckily, guys here at the forum seem to be very patient with less experienced H users.

Have fun with H.10!

Greg
7733 posts
Helenerg
A little embarrassing, but it was my new security software - thought I'd completely disabled it - I hadn't.

What new security software is this? Maybe this should go into some FAQ.
55 posts
Hi all,

The software was Bit Defender 2010 - Total Security Suite. It's very effective from what I've seen of it on other systems, but not as overly aggressive as some.

Oh, and Greg, thanks for that..…I'd like to say my blonde moment was a one-off incident - but those who know me well know better lol

..Houdini now 10 runs like a dream..so quick..am looking forward to getting stuck in - so much to learn. I'm particularly looking forward to learning scripting - have a little coding background….but first thing's first…

Once again, many thanks for your comments and suggestions

Bye for now,

Helene
Helene
349 posts
Welcome to the forums Helene. Have fun with H10!
  • Quick Links