fbx export mesh tessellation

10414   2   1
22 posts
im pretty new to houdini but what im currently trying to do is export a simulated fluid surface and import it into maya, but when i import the fbx file the fluid surface is completely faceted and nothing in maya as far as i know will solve the problem

i used standard fbx export options (and import options in maya)

attached is an example of the faceted geometry in maya.

is there a way to stop this from happening in the export?

Attachments:
weird.jpg (51.2 KB)

349 posts
You tried softening the normals in Maya after import?
350 posts
icarus551
im pretty new to houdini but what im currently trying to do is export a simulated fluid surface and import it into maya, but when i import the fbx file the fluid surface is completely faceted and nothing in maya as far as i know will solve the problem

i used standard fbx export options (and import options in maya)

attached is an example of the faceted geometry in maya.

is there a way to stop this from happening in the export?

Hello,

This happens because the FBX spec doesn't support converting animated geometries with variable number of points (which is what a fluid is). However, we managed to find a hack/workaround to get at least something through - with the disadvantage that the geometry in question will be triangulated with shared points being duplicated.

To fix this in Maya, switch to the “Polygons” menu, select your fluids object, choose “Edit Mesh->Merge”. This will merge any vertices that are close together into one. Now, with the object still selected, choose “Mesh->Smooth” and it will smooth the mesh into a much better-looking one. It may be slower when animated, however.
Oleg Samus
Software Developer
Side Effects Software Inc.
  • Quick Links