hkey failed on linux 7.x

6575   7   1
288 posts
Last time ,I post a topic on this site, that problem was I can't install houdini 6 for linux7.X on linux 8.
but now, I installed red hat linux 7.3, and still had the same problem.when I finished installing houdini 6.0340. and then “source houdini_setup_bash”, and then type “hkey”, it appeared, but when I click on “file” and wanted to enter the lincense, hkey shutted down……
people said that was the linux 8.0's fault ,and ,houdini only run under linux 7.x, so I have linux 7.x installed, why I have the same problem??
and what should I do now??
Thank you !
^_^
1631 posts
Hi there,

What graphics card are you using? If you're not using a graphics card from either ATI or NVIDIA, you shouldn't be able to run Houdini as it requires OpenGL. If you are using an ATI or NVIDIA graphics card, please download the latest drivers from the respective websites.

Cheers!
steven
51 posts
Steven,

Am I understanding your post correctly, that you will NOT be able to run Houdini unless you have a ATI or NVIDIA card?

Rather limiting, plus it does run fine on my machine with a E&S card, but maybe I can get better performance. Please do clarify.

Thanks

Andre
4140 posts
It will run on most cards that runs OGL, but there's a limited number of suppliers that SESI *officially* supports. You may get some problems, crashes or artefacts if you stray too far from the supported cards.

As far as getting better speed - copy a few hundred poly spheres - if you can rotate around in shaded mode without having a hernia , you're running OGL and there's not a lot more you'll get in terms of speed with that card, short of overclocking…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
1631 posts
Hey Andre,
athomas
Steven,

Am I understanding your post correctly, that you will NOT be able to run Houdini unless you have a ATI or NVIDIA card?

Rather limiting, plus it does run fine on my machine with a E&S card, but maybe I can get better performance. Please do clarify.

Thanks

Andre
Like John said, if the card supports OGL, it should be okay. The reason why I mentioned ATI & Nvidia is because they have Linux drivers with OpenGL support which helps with performance.

Also, I just visited 3Dlabs' website & they have Linux drivers now so 3Dlabs cards should run Houdini properly too.

I hope the above clarified my post & I apologise for causing any misunderstanding.

Cheers!
steven
51 posts
Thanks John & Steven,

I thought so, but just wanted to be sure. Houdini runs very well with my card even with lots of geometry in shaded and VEX shaded view. Just wanted to make sure I'm getting the best perfomance before replacing a 2k card with a new one.

Now I know I don't have to replace it.

Thanks.

Andre
288 posts
I used GeForce 2 mx and use the defaut driver of linux installing.
is this problem?
^_^
1631 posts
Hey ykcosmo,

Please download the latest Linux drivers from Nvidia's website & install them. Please download the README file as well & read the instructions thoroughly on how to set up the drivers correctly.

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links