ODE example?

3771   2   1
49 posts
I can't seem to make the simplest Open Dynamics Engine rigid body dynamics simulation work. (sorry so verbose, the forum sucks for searching 3 letter words) It's basically a cube copied to some grids. Then i want them to drop and hit the ground colliding with each other along the way. No biggie.

Except for my simulation explodes or doesn't do anything. I have a feeling I'm not configuring my ODE object for the simulation correctly.

These were my steps more or less - After creating a the /obj/cubes. Make a rbd ground plane with the shelf. Click on the /obj/cubes and make a rbd fractured object. In the auto dop network append a ‘ode configure object’ after the ‘rbd fractured object’ and change the rbd solver to ODE. Not much happens like i think it should at this point.

Could someone look at this a enlighten me?

Attachments:
ode_cubes.hipnc (185.7 KB)

45 posts
Hi,

reading the documentation I've found this:

- ODE works with Houdini’s rigid body objects, static objects, and RBD point objects.
- ODE does not support glue or fracturing.

( Dynamics Using the ODE solver for RBD http://localhost:48626/dynamics/ode_solver [localhost] )

Try to use a RBD Point Object, it should work.

Attachments:
ode_cubes_v2.hipnc (200.5 KB)

49 posts
Great thanks - this is what I was looking for. I had a feeling about it not supporting the fractured object sop - but couldn't express how i needed a copy sop like solution - which the RBD point object sop does beautifully.

Nice move setting the normals for rotation too! This should be an example file.
  • Quick Links