Sticky fluid forms text / geometry? (Houdini 2010 Demo reel)

9389   9   3
28 posts
Hi all,
Any ideas how to achieve (or even to begin to achieve) the effect used at the very start of the Houdini 2010 demo reel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leJks6ay4tg [youtube.com]

It looks kinda sticky, as opposed to the flowing liquid I always end up with (not complaining )
And I've no idea how it forms the letters and logo of the Houdini title. Would love to find out.

Thanks in advance.
Chaz
53 posts
i think there are many ways to achieve that, you can have your font text object extruded along the edges to allow containing fluids, and run your fluid or particles simulation….animate your emitter position to fill exactly the letters with particles….or have a goal object as a letter so that the falling fluid is attracted and form the letter……or using more that one animation and comp then to achieve that, as using attribute tranfer to make the letter displace when the particles hit the ground, look at this video is interesting : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgUQkpRL-g [youtube.com] is a 3 videos tutorial to form a text logo….
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?
28 posts
Thanks for info dude.
I'm watching through the vids now.
Still unsure how to achieve that exact effect.
I've tried turning polygon extracting the text and turning it into a static object and adding an attractor to it. But the fluid just doesn't want to sit in there. It seems to seep through the base of the letters somehow.

I'll keep trying, mega confused tbh.
Thanks for the info anyway my friend.
401 posts
http://www.vmuriel.com/post_viney.html [vmuriel.com]
this is not a science fair.
28 posts
That is exactly what I'm trying to achieve!!
Anyone care to advise?

And also, does anyone know why, when I poly extract my text and make it a static object, the fluid collides with the top of the text, but it won't fall ‘inside’, to fill it up. It's as if the text has an invisible top layer.
53 posts
that's only a basic start to see how to fill an object with fluids or particles, you have both examples.

Attachments:
fill_H.hipnc (334.8 KB)

28 posts
WOW! Thanks so much Blonde!
That is amazingly helpful and I cannot express how thankful I am

Now, my apologies for the follow up cheeky question, but what's the deal with the null object and 2 states of the fluid blob at the obj level?
Is the null purely for viewing reference? Or does it serve any significant purpose?
This is exactly what I needed, I'm just trying to pull it apart and see what I did differently
Thanks a million (again)!
Chaz
53 posts
hi , maybe you're more likely to get a fish rather than learning to fish, i mean try to dig a bit in the nodes, not only the mine also the houdini examples files that are a great way to learn more…so the null it's simple a locator that contain the translation keys of the animation so if you start with a new fluid sim just parent to him withouth re-keyframe the animation…and the 2 states blob i tell you in the previous post, are 2 different way to go , one with particles the other with fluid. :wink:
53 posts
…and the rdg post has a link to vmuriel artist site, that let users mail to him, so you could write to ask something more about that nice animation.
28 posts

Point/s taken Blonde.
I'll carry on digging.
The sidefx manuals are real informative for sure, and I love the sheer amount of video tutorials hosted on the sidefx site too. I'm just a little impatient when learning a new package.

Thanks again for all your help.
Peace.
Chaz
  • Quick Links