HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR and Dopnet Caches

9733   5   0
373 posts
Houdini 12 I'm running a sim with cache to disk on. I have my HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR variable set to /scratch2/tmp my system $TMPDIR is set to /scratch2/tmp as well. When doing a sim, my /tmp folder is filling up with hfs*.tmp files which are rather large. My fix will be to just symlink the /tmp folder, but I'm wondering if the dopnet should respect the HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR variable or not since doesn't seem to be doing that for me. I haven't tested this in 11 yet… but my horrible memory is telling me that it worked ok in 11.
Ian Farnsworth
30 posts
it is common all versions of houdini. all the dopnetwork data store in tmp directory, u need to change the tmp path for houdini.

cheers..
@@KaRe@@
373 posts
EDIT: Ok, in the open dialog It looks like houdini has $TEMP looking at /tmp, but when I open hscript textport returns /scratch2/tmp – if i do a setenv TEMP = “/scratch2/tmp” then the open dialog shows $TEMP pointing to /scratch2/tmp as expected… wierd. I'll have to look into where I'm setting it in the first place.
Ian Farnsworth
30 posts
if you are using bash shell in linux

../houdiniVersion/houdini_setup_bash

edit “export TEMP=/tmp” houdini_setup_bash to your destination directory..

similary in if you are using chs shell in linux

../houdiniVersion/houdini_setup_csh

edit “setenv TEMP /tmp” houdini_setup_csh to your destination directory..

cheers..
@@KaRe@@
30 posts
so i was able to set HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR to point to something else besides /tmp

seems like houdini is putting some temp files into my new tmp directory.

problem is, houdini still keeps putting vop_VEX into /tmp ( /tmp/vop_VEX )

seems like it's also still writing hfs*.tmp files to /tmp also.

i'm just doing a simple test. created a simple pyro fx setup from the automatic pyro shelf tool.

any ideas?
30 posts
seems like you have to put it in your ~/.profile (if you are using bash that would be .bash_profile)

export HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR=<your_temp_dir>

if you are using bash and fedora, it helped to log out of x windows and log back in for the shell to pick this change up. i just thought opening up a new shell would pick those changes up, but no it doesn't.
  • Quick Links