Houdini -> Maya Alembic export/import issue

12806   2   2
9 posts
Hi, I'm trying to export my RBD sim to Maya using the Alembic file format but I'm having no luck on the import into Maya. I get the following error message.

AbcImport -mode open “/maya/projects/default/cache/alembic/beanTest3.abc”;
// Error: Connection not made: 'beanTest3_AlembicNode.prop' -> ‘file1.rest’. Data types of source and destination are not compatible. //
// Error: beanTest3_AlembicNode.prop –> file1.rest connection not made //
// Error: v not found for connection //
// Error: Connection not made: 'beanTest3_AlembicNode.prop' -> ‘file1.rest’. Data types of source and destination are not compatible. //
// Result: beanTest3_AlembicNode //

Seeing as there are pretty much no options to try I'm not sure where to go with this. The .abc file also seems to be fine if I re-import back into Houdini.

Houdini end I have a sim baked out as a .bgeo sequence. In a new scene I'm bringing this in with a file node (works ok) and simply trying to export this as an alembic file. This takes a while and spits out a 15gb file.

In Maya 2012 (2P09) I import the Alembic file with the ABCImport plugin via the UI but after import I get a ‘geo1’ node which refers to the object in Houdini but no actual geo and the message above in the script editor.

Any ideas? Not sure whether the issue is with the export or import process. A simple .abc file with a few primitives worked fine.

Steve
29 posts
Do you have any attributes when you were writing alembic file ?
If you have attribute then trying cleaning up and export.

whookam
Hi, I'm trying to export my RBD sim to Maya using the Alembic file format but I'm having no luck on the import into Maya. I get the following error message.

AbcImport -mode open “/maya/projects/default/cache/alembic/beanTest3.abc”;
// Error: beanTest3_AlembicNode.prop –> file1.rest connection not made //
// Error: v not found for connection //
// Result: beanTest3_AlembicNode //

Seeing as there are pretty much no options to try I'm not sure where to go with this. The .abc file also seems to be fine if I re-import back into Houdini.

Houdini end I have a sim baked out as a .bgeo sequence. In a new scene I'm bringing this in with a file node (works ok) and simply trying to export this as an alembic file. This takes a while and spits out a 15gb file.

In Maya 2012 (2P09) I import the Alembic file with the ABCImport plugin via the UI but after import I get a ‘geo1’ node which refers to the object in Houdini but no actual geo and the message above in the script editor.

Any ideas? Not sure whether the issue is with the export or import process. A simple .abc file with a few primitives worked fine.

Steve
Harsh Mistri
Effects TD
Method Studio Vancouver
9 posts
Ah! That was it. I had the ‘rest’ and ‘v’ point attributes still from the sim. Deleting these and re-exporting into Maya works fine. Kind of obvious now I think about it.

Thanks so much!
  • Quick Links