roughing up?

2801   2   1
31 posts
hi guys

i would like to be able to rough up the brick edges as no brick wall is perfectly even and straight but not sure how 2 proceed

;0)
Edited by - Jan. 26, 2013 18:11:25

Attachments:
lego_142_387_335.hipnc (88.9 KB)

23 posts
Something like this is best done during shading. Use can use your Copy SOP to stamp each brick with a unique ID. In a material you can then use that ID to drive per-brick displacement/bump with some anti-aliased noise. You won't see this in the viewport but it keeps things lightweight.

Though, if you'd rather do it at the geometry level, you can use the same stamping techniques with a Mountain SOP or a VOP SOP that changes P. You'll need to have lots of points to move around though, so you'll want to up the divisions on your original geometry and/or subdivide. This will get heavy pretty quickly, so I suggest going the shading route.
31 posts
definatly the displacement style, investigating some examples
thanks for getting back to me ;0)

———

well i used the shader from http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=27206&highlight=displacement [sidefx.com] and it does rough the whole wall object in render, though not individual bricks or mortar, investigation continues…………

Attachments:
lego_debug.hipnc (596.9 KB)

• Quick Links