String attributes in VEX

6957   6   2
2199 posts
Is there a way in vex of handling string attributes? I want to be able to import them but it seems from the docs and VOPs that you can only import numerical types. :cry:

I need to create them too….
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
941 posts
Simon
Is there a way in vex of handling string attributes? I want to be able to import them but it seems from the docs and VOPs that you can only import numerical types. :cry:

I need to create them too….

I'm afraid not. At least not in the OP contexts.
And I don't think you can even sneak it in by predefining it (e.g: with an AttribCreate SOP) and then stuffing it in a string parameter….

As far as I can tell, in the OP contexts (and up until version 6.5.95):

1. You can't import string attribs

2. You can't export string attributes (either by tagging them as export, or by using the AddAttribute VOP).

3. Both string and numerical parameters evaluate expressions, but don't recognize predefined attribute-to-local-variable mappings. (i.e: you can't put “$MYCUSTOMFLOAT*3” in a numerical parameter, but you *can* put something like “$T*3” or `strcat(opname('.'),$F)` for a string param)

4. If a custom local variable is embedded in an expression (for a parameter value), the failure to evaluate it (see #3) doesn't put the vex OP in an error state – it does if you enter it directly, though – meaning there's no feedback that something failed.

There are probably some more quirks, but I can't remember right now…

hmmm…. maybe I should post these as bug/rfe's in the beta forum…

Cheers!
Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
2199 posts
Well I guess I'll have to rfe it then, seems daft that you can create point string attributtes but not read or write them in vex. I going to have to come up with some crazy work around for this….

Do you happen to know if this sort of thing is doable in the HDK?
941 posts
Simon

I don't have access to the HDK, but I would imagine that it would let you do this sort of thing, yes.

Cheers!
Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
543 posts
Simon

Yes, indeed, it can be done in the HDK … I know there's reasons that SESI doesn't bundle the HDK with Houdini (support stuff don't ya know), but I still believe the benefit to the Houdini community would outweigh the potential downside … I know, it's an old song, but I still feel it needs to be sung … :-)

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
2199 posts
It's not that I can do it myself, but we have an HDK license so if I can find a friendly programmer I might be able to get it done…
543 posts
Simon
It's not that I can do it myself, but we have an HDK license so if I can find a friendly programmer I might be able to get it done…
Hi Simon,

I *might* be able to help you … I'll send you a private message with more info/questions.

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
  • Quick Links