Per Particle Animation Offset

5559   4   2
349 posts
Hi guys,

Just wondering, I have some particles colliding with a floor geometry. This particle is then split (killing the parent particle). These split particles then have a very short lifespan.

I am wanting to copy animated geometry to each of these split particles. I have animated geometry, which is animated over 12 frames (within the particles life-span).
I want the animation to start the second the split particle is born on a per particle basis. So every split particle will drive this animation upon birth.
At the moment as the geometry is copied to the particles, it is in the end state of the animation (as the first split particles don't happen until way after 12 frames).

Cheers guys.
390 posts
doubt this is the best way but you can use a stamp expression in a timeshift sop
143 posts
if copy stamping is too slow you can do a similar thing with point instancing and a Delayded Load Procedural shader which loads up a bgeo sequence. Just store a splittime attribute on the point then reference that in an expression that load up the geo in the geometry shader. eg,
$hip/mygeo_`padzero(4, $F-point(“/obj/particles”, instancepoint(), “splittime”, 0)`.bgeo

come to think of it I have no idea if the point expression will resolve properly in a Delayed Load Procedural shader with the instancepoint expression…
349 posts
Using a TimeShiftSop with the stamp() based on $LIFE works a treat. As the scene is not too geometrically heavy, the stamp() works really well, so thank you zdimaria.

JordanWalsh: This weekend I am also going to try your approach as well, and check out the pro's and con's, see what fit's. So thanks for your suggestion, and I will give it a shot. I will post my results sometime tomorrow.

Cheers guys.

Attachments:
ripples.mov (325.5 KB)

691 posts
Hi,
You can use the age pop to set the age, lifespan per particle, after the split.
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
  • Quick Links