Reflective surfaces from image plates?

1277   0   1
1 posts
Hi all!

Basically, I'm looking to combine live action footage with Houdini elements and I'm looking for advice on the best or correct way to go about constructing my shots/workflow.

The live shoot will consist of both static & crane shots of various objects/people in front of a gradient background, and my Houdini elements will be a series of reflective surfaces placed around these objects in 3D space. Basically an ornament with falling glass/mirrors all around it.

My question at the moment would be: What would be the best way to reflect the backs of these objects in my 3D scene? i.e. if a reflective surface passes behind my object while falling/rotating.

I'm able to capture stills from the back of the shoot setup, but my main issue is that some of the objects are quite complex structurally.

If the objects were quite simple geometrically I had considered rebuilding them in 3D & then possibly camera mapping textures onto them from the captured stills.

Obviously I could set up the stills as a reflection map, but that won't really give me the level of detail I'm looking for, as it only provides a single angle view of the object's rear.

I'm not particularly experienced with combining live/3D so was wondering if there was possibly a well known or established technique for achieving this that I wasn't aware of? (without having to create life-accurate & massively detailed models)

Hopefully my description is sufficiently detailed & I'd greatly appreciate any feedback or pointers in the right direction… If anyone needs me to clarify anything please feel free to ask.

I've also posted this over on the odforce forums here:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/17100-reflecting-rear-of-image-plates/ [forums.odforce.net]

Thanks in advance!
  • Quick Links