Attribute Promote Vertex UV to Point UV

10125   7   3
245 posts
When I use the UV Unwrap node I found out I dont get point uv's but vertex uv's, so I figured out I should use attribute promote to promote vertex to point UV's.

It seems to work fine, except my UV's are totally messed up now.

Im not sure if im forgetting something, cant really think of anything at the moment.. :roll:

Attachments:
uvs_messedUp.hipnc (122.1 KB)

390 posts
cant look at the file right now but when going from point uvs to vertex uvs, you will lose information around the seam. this is why vertex uvs are better imo, because there are multiple vertices per point.
245 posts
Ok which brings me to my next problem:

I want to use the attribute transfer node which takes in point information, I actually does work but my UV's are looking the same as when I use the attribute promote so to keep it procedural I want to fix the problem before I use the attribute transfer.

You should look at the file when you have got the time for it then you know what I mean..

Thanks
390 posts
if you subdivide your sphere a few times it helps alot. im not positive but i think that you are just trying to interpolate too much with the attrib transfer.

i still dont see why you would want to convert vertex uvs to point uvs though.
245 posts
I need to convert because when I use attribute transfer it will also convert vertex UVs to point UVs and I get the same result with my uv's.

When I use a different projection which give me point UV's and then feed it into the attribute transfer I dont have problems because its transfering from point to point.

So thats why I want to get my vertex UV's to point UV's before I transfer them..
390 posts
hmm i did not realize the attrib transfer did this when transferring vertex attributes, but when thinking about it, it makes sense.

i tried what i think should fix it. although its close, its not working, but im not sure why.

Attachments:
vertextransfer.hipnc (92.8 KB)

245 posts
hmmm I think I understand what is going on a little more..

Technically the attribute promote is doing exactly what you might expect but it seams (haha) not to know what to do with the seams.

I tried using a point SOP and plug in the $UMAP and $ VMAP in $TX, $TZ my mesh was looking exactly as the messed up UV's.

So in order to fix this we must be able to create seams.. I have not yet figured out how to do that but I found another workaround which is to seperate the primitives (I used the poly extrude for this with a small offset) before promoting the attribute.

Now the UVs have succesfully transferred the vertex UV's to the point UV's.. however the attribute transfer does not allow me to transfer to a model with different topology. I dont know how to solve this yet.. ops:

Attachments:
uvs_messedup_113.hipnc (128.9 KB)

1743 posts
johnnycore
I need to convert because when I use attribute transfer it will also convert vertex UVs to point UVs and I get the same result with my uv's.

(I haven't read much of the rest, but) the Attribute Transfer SOP should keep vertex UVs as vertex UVs, and it tries to maintain seams; it just doesn't do a good job at maintaining seams if the points have moved.

That said, Attribute Transfer on point attributes is currently WAY faster than on vertex attributes, in case performance will be a concern once it's working.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links