FE Wood splinters workflow

6361   5   2
12 posts
Hi,anyone knows how to make bursting splinters using FE?
the default preset breaks the object in a sort of Voroni ugly pattern,you can change the frequency but still looks ugly

The 13mov have a very cool scene about this,but i wonder if they drive the highres with a proxy ,if that so,i cant figure the workflow to drive highres objects.

looking at the FE preset the cuts are done in attrib_fracturepart with a voroninoise.

But i wonder what its the best approach

Thanks!
48 posts
I haven't tried out the FEM stuff in Houdini yet, so I'm far from sure about any of this -
When I used the DMM plugin for Maya a few years back, it had the ability to contrain custom fragment meshes to the FEM tetrahedrons, so the sim would be run on the tets, and you would render whatever arbitrary geometry you had parented to them.

The thing with finite-element simulation appears to be that everything must be defined as tetrahedrons, that's just how the algorithm works, so I would guess with Houdini, it may just be a case of replacing that voronoi pattern you mentioned with some arbitrary pattern or mesh of your choosing, and it won't actually affect the sim.

Not sure how much use that is… I plan to play around with it soon, but for now I've got no real idea about the Houdini workflow.
Staff
429 posts
Hi,

Here's a simple example that shows you how to create a setup for wood fracturing. This uses the embedding workflow. The embedded tetrahedrons are long and splintery, but the directly simulated tetrahedrons are more regularly shaped to please the finite element solver.

This setup uses the “Solid Fracture” SOP to create parts that won't break internally. This is recommended, unless you want to have small groups of tets or individual tets breaking off.

As a general rule, the realism of the fracturing can be increased by settting the “Sub Steps” on the DOP Network to a higher number. The finite element solver runs at most one fracture pass per solve.

Michiel

Attachments:
FracturingWood.hip (908.2 KB)

1769 posts
hi!

Just to mention here, if i go into either of the geo containers, everything vanishes
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
12 posts
Thanks michiel!!!,very kind
Daniel I just reload current desktop to unhide content,not sure where you can hide.
1769 posts
Yeah, i just pasted the whole scene in a new one and everything is ok
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
  • Quick Links