copy stamping

1853   2   1
2 posts
Hi all,

I am fairly new to houdini so it could be that the solution to my problem is really simple.

I want to create a 3D matrix of different pictures and then move among them with the camera. I created a simple grid object I want to copy with the copy sop. As I only have 32 different images as textures and I will need at least 200 pictures I thought I would assign the 32 textures to my “main” grids and then randlomy assign the same 32 textures to the remaining 160+ grids. I want to have similar sized grids regardless of the original resolution of the images, I only care about the image aspect ratio as I don't want to distort any of them. Unfortunately I could not find any better way to get this info from a material itself so I imported all the 32 images into a comp and named them IMG_1 to IMG_32 and assigned these to 32 materials.

And here comes the problem: In the copy sop I turned on stamp inputs and created a variable called img_material. As I can't give it a string value I chose to use clamp(rand(24242), 1, 32) so I will have a random number between 1 and 32. I want to calculate the sizex and sizey of the grid based on the aspect of the randomly selected image. I could however use this expression for the materials: /shop/image_`stamp(“../copy1”, “img_material”, 1) + 1`

Here is one example I tried which does not work. I was trying different versions, simplified ones for at least 3 hours straight but nothing worked so far I also tried the evals() function with no luck either.

if(ch('/img/comp1/IMG_'`stamp(“../copy1”, “img_material”, 1) + 1`'/size1') > ch('/img/comp1/IMG_'`stamp(“../copy1”, “img_material”, 1) + 1`'/size2'), 1, ch('/img/comp1/IMG_'`stamp(“../copy1”, “img_material”, 1) + 1`'/size1') / ch('/img/comp1/IMG_'`stamp(“../copy1”, “img_material”, 1) + 1`'/size2'))

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me solve this problem.
258 posts
There are several ways on can go about something like this but the easiest is to copy stamp a switch node and use an expression in the copy stamp like

myDifferentTexture = int(rand($PT) * 10) << the number ten will iterate through 10 different inputs into the switch node, adjust as necessary)

Then reference that attribute with the stamp function in the switch node:

stamp(“../copy1”, “myDifferentTexture”, 0)

You could stamp the file input but if you want to control the uv's and aspect ratio this might be the easiest.
2 posts
Thanks! I'll try your approach.
  • Quick Links