Shadow Display

2799   6   0
11 posts
Hey all,

New to Houdini coming from maya.

Doing some tutorials and its making sense for the most part however for some reason Im not able to see my shadows in my render or viewport, yet from what I understand they should be there… shadows are turned on, high quality, set to ray-traced (tried the others without luck) and still no shadows, however seems to cast self shadows on the object just not the ground plane. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

I have attached the file thats having issues

Running on mac osx 10.8
free apprentice Houdini 13
nvidia quadro4000

Thanks for any suggestion,

-SD

Attachments:
hou102_buddalight_v03.hipnc (1.1 MB)

4189 posts
Try putting an asterisk, *, in the Shadow Mask under the Shadow tab of the light.
11 posts
Thanks adding that to the shadow mask now lets it render within mantra, but still no shadow in the viewer but its not a huge issue at the moment since its I'm just learning still but would be nice to figure it out if i buy a license in the future.

Thanks again mate!
4189 posts
Hmmm - that should work in the viewport.

Here's the file with a torus casting a shadow on H13.0.251, Os 10.9, AMD 7950. The original file didn't include the buddha.obj to test with.

Attachments:
hou102_buddalight_v03_182_withShadow.hipnc (1.1 MB)
Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 8.30.56 am.png (313.2 KB)

11 posts
This is really weird! renders a shadow but no shadow in the viewport… but same files works for you, very interesting…
Could there possibly a performance issue? any known issues with nvidia?

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 10.38.20 PM.png (380.9 KB)

4189 posts
It should work. It'd be worth downloading the latest daily build to test with and if it's still now working, then send in a bug report from the Support menu above.
11 posts
Nice one that has fixed in the latest daily build!
Thanks for the help!
  • Quick Links