New Dark UI Color Scheme

13792   23   0
50 posts
I’ve been working on a custom UI color scheme that I’d like to share with you for feedback. I found the built-in ‘Houdini Dark’ theme to be a little inconsistent and high-contrast in places, and set about developing my own from the ground up.

As the Exchange is now depreciated, and Orbolt.com doesn’t cater for color schemes, I’ve had to post my scheme file here as a zip file (see attached) - .hcs files are apparetly ‘not allowed’. Simply drop the unzipped file into your \houdiniXX.X\config directory and launch Houdini. The scheme “ajb Dark” should now be available in the Edit > Color Settings dialog. Let me know what you think.

*Important* I’ve not yet identified the purpose of every color variable featured in the default schemes (many are depreciated and there’s limited documentation available in the file) so I’ve set these unknowns to magenta (bright purple) as per SideFX practice. If you observe any bright purple elements in the UI let me know where and I’ll fix them – they’re not there by design! (It’s thanks to Wolfwood’s post back in 2007 that I was able to get as far as I have).

Improvements over the ‘Houdini Dark’ scheme (in my opinion) include:

• * Softer and more consistent use of gradients for the base controls (can’t actually get away from gradients entirely).
    * An ‘amber’ highlight / accent color that matches viewport selection color and is used more consistently throughout (including menus, as per the ‘Houdini Light’ scheme).
    * Re-introduced specific channel colors from the ‘Houdini Light’ scheme (modified for the dark scheme) that follow the ‘red, green, blue’ pattern for channel triples.
    * Brightened bevels on nodes giving them a sharper appearance (subtle but effective).
    * Reduced intensity of parameter field colors which makes parameter text more readable.
    * Reduced intensity of network context colors on pane headings and tweaked color slightly for better visual separation.
    * Myriad other tweaks that you may not even notice.

I generated the color scheme file from an Excel spreadsheet I built which visualises the color variables in-sheet, with VBA code to export the .hcs file in one click. It’s not quite ready for prime-time yet but if there’s interest I’ll make it suitable for release and share it with you.

One final note: I’ve noticed a slight difference in the way H13 uses color scheme variables to H12.5 (which I originally developed for), and since I’m now targeting H13 and don’t have earlier versions installed you may notice more ‘purple’ artefacts in earlier versions. As above, just let me know where you spotted them and I’ll implement a fix.
Edited by - March 25, 2014 17:11:20

Attachments:
ajbDark.zip (4.5 KB)

4189 posts
Looks nice! and found some purple - Color Settings - Download button - the text inside there is purple.

Which brings up the question- if Exchange is deprecated why is there a download button? Would be good to have these Ui's in there

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 1.24.46 pm.png (173.4 KB)

50 posts
Thanks MartybNz. Should now be fixed. I've updated the attachment in the original post.
4189 posts
Cool, found some purple on the render progress box

Edit: found more in the fileIn

Attachments:
render progress box.png (17.6 KB)
PurpleFilein.png (28.3 KB)

50 posts
Well spotted. New upload should fix both occurrences. Thanks again, MartybNz.
4189 posts
Cool - 1 more - the inspect loupe

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 5.40.46 pm.png (53.3 KB)

50 posts
Fixed! I think the white text on grey is more readable than black text on grey - for both light and dark viewport backgrounds - but see what you think.
4189 posts
purple selection area when Selection arrow set to lasso

Attachments:
LassoSelection.png (332.8 KB)

50 posts
Updated :wink:
4189 posts
can't see the attachment anymore on the first post…
50 posts
Not sure what happened there. Now uploaded again.

Andrew
4189 posts
cool - purple under edit parameter interface

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 12.00.39 pm.png (205.2 KB)

50 posts
Now fixed. Thanks again.
4189 posts
Cool as - Keyframes and Preferences

Attachments:
Preferences.png (44.5 KB)
Pink Keyframes.png (19.7 KB)

50 posts
MartybNz, what kind of keyframe is that you've created that shows up purple? Trying to find a way of replicating it on my system…?

Andrew
4189 posts
it a keyframe of transform of at the object level - then shift-select in the timeline around it and middle mouse btn to drag the keyframe
50 posts
Okay, latest update should fix those two issues. Thanks again.

Andrew
4189 posts
Cool as- Channel Editor, Current time indicator Triangle
Edit: LighLinker selection & around the timebar - not sure how this appears?!

Attachments:
ChannelEditor.png (64.7 KB)
lightLinker.png (65.9 KB)
Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 10.26.13 pm.png (15.1 KB)

50 posts
Okay, try the latest upload. Not sure I did anything regarding the dopesheet knob color, but doesn't seem to be purple on my system anymore.
1 posts
Hi.

There's some magenta in the Desktop Manager window.
Hope you're still working on it. I really enjoy all those improvements.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Attachments:
desktop_manager_screen.jpg (98.6 KB)

• Quick Links