Orbit in Houdini 13

8714   8   0
9 posts
Hello

I'm following an older tutorial, probably houdini 9 or so. There's some changes since then and I have to improvise a bit to keep up, but I ran into a wall when I couldn't find the Orbit node.
Has it changed name or something?
It's in the Houdini 13 manual, and I can load the example in the help file where I can also create one…I figure it's around on some level for legacy reasons.
Anyway, whats going on there?
9 posts
Alright, I just noticed that there is a “POP Network - old” node, where orbit exists. So which node replaced it?
Pop axis force seems to have the same icon at least.

Another related question…There is only 3 types of emission in the new pop source….All points, Points, and Surface.
Why remove the other ones, like volume? How would i spawn particles in a geometry volume with the current pop?
This pop change basically made 90% of the tutorials out there useless which is a shame..
694 posts
Mattias Magito
This pop change basically made 90% of the tutorials out there useless which is a shame..

Progress requires sacrifices… you could scatter points in your volume prior to sourcing your particles.
You could also use the fluid source SOP and source particles from it… endless possibilities!

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
242 posts
The source pop is doing the scattering for you.
If you set the emission type to surfaces and link the path to your volume, it will source from the volume.
9 posts
Hey again…I'm making some progress in my learning…but I ran into another node that has been removed in pops and am curious to know what replaced it.

In this case it's the Attribute transfer POP, which is still available in the popnet_old, but not in the new one.
If the idea is that the new POP should eventually replace the old one, what technique replaced it? Seemed like a very useful node to me…
694 posts
You could replace the Attribute Transfer POP with a POP VOP (DOP?)
Check the attached file for a rough example.

Cheers

Attachments:
POP_attrib_transfer.hip (282.4 KB)

Toronto - ON
9 posts
Thank you for the example file!
It's unfortunately a bit over my head currently but now I've got something to study.
Too bad they made something that used to be simple, quite difficult.
694 posts
There is at least one other simpler way to achieve similar result. I'll try and post a file later.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
694 posts
Here's another simpler way.

Cheers

Attachments:
pop_attrib_transfer_129.hip (312.4 KB)

Toronto - ON