alembic export from Houdini to Maya

7946   1   1
26 posts
Hi,

I've tried couple different ways to import H13 geo with Cd attribute into Maya2014.

I used HDF5, promoted point Cd attribute into vertex Cd attribute.
In Alembic ROP node, in vertex attribute parameter, I put Cd.
In point attribute parameter, I put N.

It seems like it still does not load the Cd properly and give me an error:
// Error: file: CProgram Files/Autodesk/Maya2014/scripts/AETemplates/AEnewColor.mel line 42: Attribute facetted3:clean1.Cd is not vector-valued. //

Is there something that I have to do in Maya to get that color rendered?

Any kind of suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
763 posts
I don't think you can get houdini's Cd/Colour values into maya *Easily*

just looking at maya vertex colours when exported with the maya flag “-writeColorSets” i.e

AbcExport -writeColorSets /tmp/sphere

The vertex attributes are written to an array compound value called “colourSet1” with 4 values

This attribute can be read into houdini and converted back to Cd with an Attribute SOP but it does not look like the reverse is true. I've previously tried converting Cd to colourSet1 and even adding the extra 4th Alpha value, but Maya does not read it as the compound attribute seems to be written differently via houdini i.e (its not a compound attribute with indicies) ..

you may want to follow this thread here and use polySoup to help you on the maya side:http://forums.odforce.net/topic/16272-alembic-primitivepoint-colors-to-maya/ [forums.odforce.net]

p.s. you can use the command line abcecho program located in the houdini $HFS/bin folder to examine the alembic file output from maya and houdini to see how they differ
Miles Green, Supervising TD, Animal Logic
  • Quick Links