Unable to box select dynamic objects for shelf tools

3219   7   0
43 posts
I am trying to follow Peter Quint's DOP Forces video tutorial and in the section where he uses the Uniform Forces shelf tool, then is prompted to select dynamic objects for Uniform Force. He then uses box selection to select a number of dynamic objects before hitting enter. The force node is then created and the Group parameter is automatically populated with the group names of the objects he selected.

This should all be very simple, but in H13 I am unable to do this. I am prompted to select dynamic objects but no matter what I try I cannot seem to select just a few of the objects. If I box select every object, when I hit enter the uniform forces node is only using the first objects group from each rbd point object (Boxes on one, spheres on the other). I know each object has its own point group as they show up in details view for my DOP Network (there is sphere_0…sphere_49 and the same for boxes). Of course the force dop node works fine if I type the group names in manually, but this is a pain and defeats the purpose of using the shelf tool entirely.

Any suggestions?
43 posts
As a side note, I don't seem to be able to select dynamic objects using the select tool and dynamics select mode at all, whether using a shelf tool, or to select them to create a group for instance.
4189 posts
Seems to be working here in OsX, AMD 7950, H13.0.334.

Can you upload you scene file. Thanks!
43 posts
Here is the file. In the video, he used the Uniform Force shelf tool, then selected a number of boxes and spheres in one corner of the grid, hits Enter and the node is created with only those objects affected by the force. I am only able to drag select either all the boxes, or sometimes it will select one object of each type, box_0 and sphere_0. I am following exactly what he does in the video. Every box and sphere have their own group that should be selectable. You can confirm this by looking at the details view of the DOP network.

Running 13.0.334 on Win7 x64 GTX780 gpu with latest drivers

Attachments:
Drag_Select_Dynamic_Objects.hipnc (273.9 KB)

4189 posts
Looks like things have changed since the video was made in Houdini 10? Neither works in 12.5 or 13.
43 posts
That's a bummer. It would be handy to still have that functionality
18 posts
Same problem, though here it still works in Houdini 12.5. Moreover the Houdini 13 help docs still show the old selection UI. Maybe they should update this.
4189 posts
Good idea MCGrund - put it into the bug report in the Support menu above.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links