project "Houdini, a great modeler"

260911   609   9
37 posts
Really hot topic here !
+++ 1 for h_improve !
678 posts
Hi.

Could you guys jump in to this => http://forums.odforce.net/topic/21333-what-if/ [forums.odforce.net] topic and post what you would like to see? Maybe you would like to see how to implement some tools you had in Softimage?
1755 posts
Shall we resume?
4189 posts
You'll have 10 months more experience with Houdini than when this thread started; what do you think now? Bridge Tool, Bevel enhancements first thing to develop?

Anyone interested in better nurbs modelling like in MoI 3d, Moment of Inspiration? It's very clean and usuable non-polygon/sub-d based.

http://moi3d.com [moi3d.com]
1265 posts
I love that we can now move the transform gizmo to a temp location to edit with the ' key. Give us more of this, and I will be happy.

3 things I would like to see next.

- proper tweak tool (that works with sof selections)
- visual feedback on geometry when using soft selections.
- edge slide (that works with soft selections)
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1755 posts
MartybNz
You'll have 10 months more experience with Houdini than when this thread started; what do you think now? Bridge Tool, Bevel enhancements first thing to develop?

What do I think about what? I didn't do any “real” modeling in Houdini if that's what you're talking about, only tests. The modeling tools and viewport interactions are still way too inefficient and/or buggy (as in giving poor results) for me to leave my current tools. Hopefully this will change in the future as I'm looking forward to being able to take advantage of Houdini's strengths without leaving into other apps for poly modeling.

MartybNz
Anyone interested in better nurbs modelling like in MoI 3d, Moment of Inspiration? It's very clean and usuable non-polygon/sub-d based.

http://moi3d.com [moi3d.com]

Pretty sure Houdini won't take the path of a purebred modeler (it might be too late for that already ) and while I don't exclude the possibility and usefulness of having a strong NURBS modeling toolset, I think we ought to sort the poly-modeling part first.

Werner Ziemerink
I love that we can now move the transform gizmo to a temp location to edit with the ' key. Give us more of this, and I will be happy.

It's incredibly slow when compared to Softimage where I simply alt LMB a point (alt for pivot activation which is moved around with an auto-snap to the points belonging to the selected object).
I'd like to see an improvement here in terms of workflow.

Werner Ziemerink
3 things I would like to see next.

- proper tweak tool (that works with sof selections)
- visual feedback on geometry when using soft selections.
- edge slide (that works with soft selections)

You and me both.
4189 posts
McNistor
What do I think about what? I didn't do any “real” modeling in Houdini if that's what you're talking about, only tests. The modeling tools and viewport interactions are still way too inefficient and/or buggy (as in giving poor results) for me to leave my current tools.

I guess I'm confused then. Can you outline what you want to resume here in the discussion if no tools, barring selections, have been improved in H14 and people have no more experience modelling in Houdini than before?

As far as I can tell the modelling benchmark is the Softimages toolset; that's a very visible mark to test against than. No further discussion needed.
Staff
5158 posts
Might I humbly suggest a new thread using H14's modelling workflow and tools as a basis. This thread is pretty long.
1755 posts
MartybNz
I guess I'm confused then. Can you outline what you want to resume here in the discussion if no tools, barring selections, have been improved in H14 and people have no more experience modelling in Houdini than before?

I too am confused about your confusion.

You asked what do I think and I said I'm not sure what are you referring to, but if it's about modeling… you know what I said after that.

As for the “resuming”, I'm referring to the discussion about improving modeling tools and workflows in Houdini. I don't understand what changed in the meantime… We didn't even get to talk about all the tools missing or in need of dire improvement. As far as I'm concerned we barely scratched the surface with H14.

MartybNz
As far as I can tell the modelling benchmark is the Softimages toolset; that's a very visible mark to test against than. No further discussion needed.

This is a non-sequitur IMV.

@twod Yeah, sure.
BTW, I've addressed a few tools in the other sub-forum. Are they going to still be accessible to you (SESI) after the expiration date? I ask because if the answer is no, I'd like w/ your permission to copy-psate just the parts with the pure technical content (usually the first post). There are some very useful pics/gifs in there as well.
Staff
5158 posts
Yes, you can cut and paste your own text describing issues from that forum.

And yes, we at SESI can view all subforums even after they disappear publicly.
1755 posts
Alirght, that's great.

What format would you like these matters to be tackled in, a long thread like this one or each tool/issue with it's own thread?
1755 posts
@Marty,

Oh now I get it… your comment was actually sarcastic. Man, I sometimes suffer from mental lag, but when it hits me, it hits me hard.

So your impression is that I want Houdini to copy Softimage exactly w/o deviation, so having that as mould, there's no need for discussion.

If that's the case then no. I simply compare tools/workflows from Houdini to those I know to work better or be faster. Now, most of these will be from Softimage because that's what I use, but please remember that my choice is not aleatory, it's simply because most of the tools and workflow is the best of any 3d app I've tried and I've tried them all and with many (Adsk family) even worked a lot more than just “tried”.

So you see, the process is actually this:
I throw on the table an idea and everyone who thinks he can improve upon it is welcome to do so. I indeed many times disagreed with ideas proposed by others, but that's because too often those are inspired from Maya/Max (as are mine from Soft) but if you remember, I've already tried most of those…
Ultimately, it doesn't matter where that idea comes from, don't get hung up on that.

Besides, it's not as if I'm gonna implement whatever I like. If what I propose ends up being implemented in Houdini it is because SESI also thinks it's a good idea.

I hope I've misunderstood your message (or rather tone), otherwise I'm disappointed that I have to explain this again. And to you no less.
Staff
5158 posts
McNistor
Alirght, that's great.

What format would you like these matters to be tackled in, a long thread like this one or each tool/issue with it's own thread?

I suppose it depends on how closely things are related, and the size of the request. For example, if you had an in-depth discussion on how soft-selections should work, they should be in their own thread. Related modelling tools might be better off in a single thread, etc.

But really, don't worry about it too much - I'm sure it'll prompt discussions regardless of format
1755 posts
Do you think it's a good idea to continue posting in this SI forum section?
I wouldn't want people to think I'm addressing XSI users only. I suspect that some just peek inside or don't come here at all thinking it's none of their business.
If you think this could be a limiting factor, please suggest a sub-forum where the modeling and other improvements discussion should take place.
Staff
5158 posts
Technical Discussion would be an appropriate subforum.
538 posts
Some PySide fast modeling very-customizable tool system.
Preview of very simple (but not very last) features.
http://youtu.be/IsSWh4Bw6LM [youtu.be]
https://gumroad.com/alexeyvanzhula [gumroad.com]
538 posts
Some feature list:

0. RMB - hotbox-like widget with modeling tools

1. in ‘select’ state (mode):
1.1 LMB - laser selection
1.2 MMB - box\lasso selection
1.4 MMB (fast click) - elect loop - doesn`t need of ‘A’ hotkey

in ‘edit’ mode:
1.5 Alt - multi-snapping
1.6 RMB - fast grabbing pivot (hello xsi-users). Key release will fix pivot back. with alt it multi-snapping to anything

2. Wheel:
2.1 Up - select polygons
2.2 Down - select poly-islands. Fast wheel roling (Down+Up) will select island under the mouse
2.3 Ctrl+Up - select verites
2.4 Ctrl+Down - select edges
2.5 Shift+Up - Move
2.6 Shift+Down - Rotate\Scale
2.7 Ctrl+Alt+Up - Redo
2.8 Ctrl+Alt+Down - Undo
2.9 Ctrl+Shift+Up - Shrink seletion
2.10 Ctrl+Shift+Down - Grow seletion

All this works (in most cases) with simple but advanced selection behaviour. For example (like in Silo) it doesn`t need component selected, but maybe pre-hilighted (under mouse) when nothing was selected.

All hotkeys, mouse behaviour, ui-style and hotbox items are very custimizable in simple python code pieces.

Doesn`t showed snapping and align features in this video. Coming soon…

PS No standard hotkeys was used when recording video, only mouse+modifiers
1755 posts
Looks pretty good. How well integrated into the rest of Houdini is it? e.g. does it create node for every operation like the native ones do?
538 posts
Yes, under the hood it creates nodes with hscripts-expressions and vex snippets. Also it can delete history and many other features not included to video.
7715 posts
vux
Some PySide fast modeling very-customizable tool system.
Preview of very simple (but not very last) features.
http://youtu.be/IsSWh4Bw6LM [youtu.be]

Looking good! This probably deserves it's own forum thread.
  • Quick Links