Project "Houdini, a great scripter"

16376   32   2
1755 posts
I will get into those too, I knew about them, but thanks.
4189 posts
Peter Quint's tutorials are also considered essential viewing!

https://sites.google.com/site/pqhoudinitutorial/ [sites.google.com]
1799 posts
+1 to Houdini scripting being so powerful in comparison with the usual shell scripting. It is also important to understand that in Houdini, you have static scripts (equivalent to the good ole script editor scripts that run on demand) and dynamic nodebased scripts, which run everytime a node cooks (equivalend of a c++ declared node, but without the c++ part ). read a bit on creating a python node and you will never go back

On another note, it would be nice if the Python snippet SOP had more examples like the wrangle nodes do (it only has one while the wrangles have at least 10..)? I learned so much vex just by looking at those snippet embedded examples

Attachments:
pythonSOP.JPG (61.8 KB)

-G
31 posts
As others have suggested, scripting in Houdini is much more akin to programming with the Object Model in Softimage, than it is to using Softimage commands. In the case of using OM, Softimage won't log any history either.
If you know a little of the Softimage OM, then scripting with Houdini will be a breeze! The Python editor on Houdini is particularly awesome and really helps you to learn as you go (with the nifty auto complete, you could even learn a little python as you learn HOM!).
37 posts
My intention was not to denigrate or offend houdini users . I think Houdini is very good ! ! . I am not a professional and I don't play with houdini all day. It is therefore possible that I'm missing a lot of things very well . Moreover , reading the comments, I learned many things. I don't use houdini's scripting all day to get a clear assessment of its performance, good point,… This is why the mechanism Softimage just seemed easier. Again, this was not my intention to denigrate or offend houdini users .

I want to help Houdini to expand its community. For now, Maya is less in terms of proceduralism . But the Bifrost project is near . As everyone knows, money is the sinews of war . The large base of Maya's artists provides an income and opportunities for recruitment sidefx has perhaps not . Good ideas are everywhere, even among competitors.

Finally, I do not know how to propose something that sounds good without having to undergo an outcry . I 'm open to suggestions.
4189 posts
There is no intention here to make Houdini into SI or Maya, but, if there are bits that you can demonstrate improve the Houdini experience bring it on

It's always better to show why you think it's better by a comparison.
166 posts
grayOlorin
+1 to Houdini scripting being so powerful in comparison with the usual shell scripting.
Thank you for the screenshot, the scripting looks very straightforward. I think I could be up and running with this in no time.

I don't think that command logging is necessary in Softimage either. It helps when you start out, but sooner or later you move to the object model anyway (which does not log anything).

I agree that it doesn't make sense to request features until you have a decent grasp of how things work in Houdini. From everything I've read, the scripting is good the way it is and should not present much of a challenge to anyone who's worked with the SI object model.
238 posts
spend the weekend implementing some pipeline tools I wrote over the years for softimage into houdini, and I have to say scripting in Houdini is amazing!

watch the python masterclass and get wet!

thanks autodesk for forcing me to learn Houdini.
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
606 posts
sekow
thanks autodesk for forcing me to learn Houdini.

This would be a great soundbite for SideFX marketing
4189 posts
I would conclude that this topic ‘Make Houdini a great Scripter’ is complete
37 posts
MartybNz
I would conclude that this topic ‘Make Houdini a great Scripter’ is complete

Yes
1799 posts
Aaand that's just python…. Wait till you get a taste of vex/vops… . That is the reason why I have not touched c++ in ages..
-G
  • Quick Links