State Machine

5685   7   1
620 posts
Hi,

Are there some equivalents to ICE State Machine? With ICE StateMachine you can switch between different states with trigger and do different simulation in each state.

Thanks!
4189 posts
Not sure but Wedge and Take and change parameters:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/nodes/out/wedge [sidefx.com]

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/basics/takes [sidefx.com]
387 posts
Look at pop stream (and groups) in DOP.
304 posts
Yeah. Groups are the best option. I think they´re actually more flexible than states.
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
620 posts
thank for replies!

The problem using group/stream is that the stream rule is base on Testing not Trigger.
For example: In pop stream if @P.y>5 switch new stream, but when @P.y <5 it auto switch back. In ICE a event (P.y>5) triggerd, it will keep in that state even P.y <5 .
620 posts
I find it, I should choose Preserve Stream. It worked!
304 posts
Yes. And remember you can combine groups, in a “boolean” fashion, so you can tell it to create another group which is just the opposite of the first one.
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
26 posts
There's a great tutorial about particle streams over here [sidefx.com].

On the one hand you can see how powerful Houdini's particles or DOP systems are.

But on the other hand as an oldskool Softimage ICE user it makes my head explode every time he enters another and another VEX function into the editors.
I know it's so powerful and flexible, but it's a kick in the groin for non-TDs! I'm slowly getting the hang of plugging together VOP nodes because they're very similar of the whole ICE world. But VEX code (or scripting at all) is kind of scary and at the same time killing my creativity.

I could easily plug together all the things Peter Quint mentions in his tutorial in ICE, but 10 minutes after watching the tutorial I couldn't even remember how to switch the state in VEX!
Would it be possible in the future to also offer access to VOPs to “write” these VEXpressions in a visual way somehow?
Ceterum censeo Autodesk esse delendam!
  • Quick Links