Using particle collision attributes

6556   7   1
47 posts
Hi. I'm still struggling with some basic concepts in Houdini.
I was playing with POP Collision Detect node and the node adds several collision attributes to particles - like hitnml, hitpos etc. What are my options of accessing and using these attributes? What I would like is to use hitnormal *(hitnml) attribute in POP Replicate to set initial velocity for new particles. Is this even possible?

Thanks
47 posts
Currently the only solution I found is by using POP Wrangle and setting @v to v@hitnml there. As Pop wrangle is executed every frame, i'm doing age check - if (@age < 0.05) and setting @v only then. Is there any other solution to make POP Wrangle to set @v only once - when the particle is born?
242 posts
kurzemnieks
Currently the only solution I found is by using POP Wrangle and setting @v to v@hitnml there. As Pop wrangle is executed every frame, i'm doing age check - if (@age < 0.05) and setting @v only then. Is there any other solution to make POP Wrangle to set @v only once - when the particle is born?

I think there is a “just born group” or “born group” in the replicate POP.
This group contains the particles spawned on current timestep.
Then just set the wrangle node to operate on that group only.

Sorry I cant set up a file at this moment.
47 posts
excellent!! thank you very much - that was exatly what i was looking for !!
47 posts
btw, stupid question - how do I access Point Number ($PT) from VEX code ? I could not find answer in docs.
242 posts
kurzemnieks
btw, stupid question - how do I access Point Number ($PT) from VEX code ? I could not find answer in docs.

ptnum is the global vex variable for point number.
@ptnum in vexpressions.
47 posts
Thank you!
50 posts
kurzemnieks

Think you should use “ptnum” for VEX.

edit. I'm so slow at answering
  • Quick Links