Duplicating geometry during a RBD simulation

2484   5   2
271 posts
Hi all,
This is repost as I was getting no luck in the apprentice forum - this may be the proper place for it anyway…

I've got a quite simple RBD simulation with a bunch of spheres falling down.
What I'm trying to do is have those spheres randomly duplicate and nicely push apart at some point in the simulation and I'm really quite stuck

tried something earlier yesterday and sort of got what I was after…but I've tried to duplicate it in a simpler scene and it just wont happen. This is becoming really frustrating.
I've attached my scene and hopefully the notes will explain my method, but just in case it doesn't, basically I've set up a SOP node branch after the dopimport1 to take the simulation and randomly select one of the spheres and then feed those all back into the dopimport1 node.
The file should make things easier to understand.

Attachments:
duplicate_cells_688.hipnc (239.9 KB)

271 posts
Anyone?…help
Even just to tell me that I'm doing it completely wrong.
35 posts
turn off “use deforming geometry” on your node “new_cell” in the autodopnetwork ..

also bypass “create_fractured_groups1” and “connectivity2” in /obj/box_object1.

and I changed the assign_name code somewhat.. change to the line:

@name = “piece” + itoa(@Frame);

-G
271 posts
Hi ranxerox,
Thanks for the reply…I made the changes you mentioned but I'm still not getting any results/ I've uploaded the file with the changes and for me ti doesn't work. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments:
duplicate_cells_689.hipnc (239.8 KB)

Staff
329 posts
I suspect an RBD Packed Object DOP with a SOP Solver may simplify things for you. Attached is a simple example that uses a SOP Solver to create and remove objects during a Bullet simulation on a particular frame. You may be able to customise the SOP Solver network to accomplish your goal.

Attachments:
replace-packed-object.hip (243.4 KB)

35 posts
here's your file with some slight changes .. it seems to work here. Your “max_piece_number” code wasn't doing what you thought it was .. that's only executed once (detail).

-G

Attachments:
duplicate_cells_ranx.hipnc (240.6 KB)

• Quick Links