A couple beginner questions

1582   2   1
30 posts
Hi guys,

I have been going through the Side FX first step tutorials and finished those. Started watching the CMIVFX intro to houdini particle systems tutorial and I am guessing a lot has changed in houdini since that got made because my nodes don't look like his.

I understand we have a new particle system in houdini 13 that works on dop level. Is there any reason to use the older particle system now? I also noticed the new nodes have way less parameters than the older ones. In the tutorial he places a fan node that has attributes for many things but if I create a particle emission from the shelf and place a fan node inside it doesn't have most of those parameters like cone falloff, etc.

Another question I have is: I was trying to flipbook a particle sim I made and when I turn on motion blur for it it calculates the first 60 frames or so fine but then starts spazzing out, in the flipbook render there is a noticeable jump when this starts happening and the rest of the particle sim looks wrong. I tried increasing the substeps but that didn't solve it. Any tips for rendering flipbooks with motion blur?

Thanks so much in advance!
1391 posts
Maybe relation between SOP level and Old-Particle system is easier than New particle system.you can access to local variable in the Old Particle System exactly like SOP level , for example you can use $NPT to take number of points , but in the New particle system you should use another methods like using POP Wrangle .

New Particle System have perfect relation between dynamic objects and it's so fast and accurate for these purposes, So I think Old Particle system is perfect for making some special projects without any dynamic object like Motion Graphics or Title Design or another Procedural Modeling projects.

About your second question , please explain more clearly or upload a hip file :?
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
30 posts
Thanks Joker. I will try to learn both.

I didn't save the scene file I was playing around with but next time it happens I will post the hip here.
  • Quick Links