Houdini Engine for Maya 2015

6367   3   1
436 posts
Is OTL the only way Houdini geo can come into maya. Aside from OBJ and ABC. What I really need is ability to bring in BGEO sequences out of SOP's (with DOPs feededing data into SOP). Say fracture dynamics. Cook the breakup into BGEO and have a FileIn in Maya. I suppouse Alembic is the way to go, and it appears to work. But I ABC is one file, though it is read as a cache. But what if the file goes above 4TB limit. Mays's BiFrost is same way. BiFrost (formerly naiiad) writes its mesh data into ABC.

DaveR
818 posts
Houdini Engine only supports OTL assets. If you simply want to import bgeo files, you can have a file sop wrapped in an asset. This would let you load bgeo files through Houdini Engine. bgeo files don't have the same 4GB limitation (I think you meant 4GB limit, and not 4TB). Alembic had a 2GB or 4GB limit on Windows at one point, but I don't know if that limitation still exists or not. It'd depend on the compiler used to compile Alembic, which depends on the Maya version.
Andrew / アンドリュー
436 posts
I mean a 4TB limit for single ABC file. As when Maya BiFrost writes mesh derived from BiFrost sim. I don't like single file format caches. I like one file per frame with padd of 4 or 5. name.####.ext. As I do when using ROP_SOP, or Maya's MCX geo cache, or bin sequence in Realflow.

I want to give that FileIn OTL a try. Its so simple, I was not able to think of it.
Thank you.
1 posts
The Houdini Engine brings the power of Houdini's procedural workflow right inside Maya. Houdini Digital Assets can be easily created by artists …
seeq
  • Quick Links