Cloth with changing topology

3913   4   1
10 posts
Hi.
I'm making a burning cloth effect. I have a mesh and an attribute spreading over the surface to delete polygons.
When I try to simulate the deforming mesh it uses the first frame to simulate the cloth. I want the cloth object to update every frame to make the tearing cloth fall down as it burns.
I attach a snapshot to help you better see what I mean.

I've read that the cloth solver allows deforming meshes but I didn't find much information about that topic.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments:
deformingCloth.JPG (169.6 KB)

Staff
429 posts
Hi

I've attached an example that uses a “burn” point attribute from the SOP level.
The setup uses a SOP solver to disintegrate cloth points that are burned.
You should be able to re-use this for your purposes.
You can animate the “burn” point attribute, setting it to 1 when you want a point to disappear.

Michiel

Attachments:
ClothBurn.hip (130.6 KB)

10 posts
Hi Michiel.
Thanks for your fast reply. That's exactly what I was looking for!
It works as i wanted.

Cheers
Toledor
10 posts
Hello again, I'm applying the setup Michiel provided, it works fine but im having trouble with my constraints. I used a pt group called attach and then refer to it in a pin constraint. The guides appear but when I hit play and the topology starts to change the pins disappear. I tried with a target constraint and refering to the point numbers directly and happens the same. I also tried making the group in the sop solver but the problem persists.

I'm a bit lost, any thoughts?

Thanks!
Toledor
10 posts
I solved it!

Just keeping the points when deleting polys so the point number in the group does not change.
After the sim I delete disconnected points and good to go.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links