Keyboard Numpad Del Key H14 change

4644   3   1
24 posts
Simple thing that in H13 worked “normally”:

H13: I hit Del key on numpad = . (dot)
H14: I hit Del key on numpad = , (semicolon)

Is there any way to change this in houdini, not in system.

edit: and now there is funny thing: sometimes it works as “.” in other places as “,”, and sometimes random…

created a box-> started hitting numpad del randomly clicking.

Attachments:
bug.png (7.3 KB)

599 posts
Dawid Antczak2
Simple thing that in H13 worked “normally”:
It wasn't “normal”. Houdini 13 and prior didn't have international keyboard support, and completely ignored your system's language settings.

I presume you're using non-English keyboard? In that case your keypad's period/delete key may or may not output a comma instead, depending on your particular language settings (Swedish keyboards do this, for example).

There's a convenience hack for numeric input fields, where pressing that key will automatically translate to a period, as a convenience. However, if the field is in expression mode, it will use the comma, as intended by the language settings.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
24 posts
I'm using Polish Programmers keyboard.

There's a convenience hack for numeric input fields
I presume hack is in houdini, and I don't need to do anything. Or… maybe… I need to disable it, to make houdini ignore my keyboard language.

I'm just wondering why random behavior, and why I did not have this “problem” in H13.

Like I said:
I open H13, randomclick&push numpadDel = .
I open H14, randomclick&push numpadDel = . or , randomly

international keyboard support or not… it's kinda annoying.
599 posts
Dawid Antczak2
I'm just wondering why random behavior, and why I did not have this “problem” in H13.
You did not have this “problem” in H13, because Houdini treated your keyboard as US ASCII, regardless of your keyboard settings.

If you're using either Linux or Windows, you can set your keyboard to be application-specific, and switch the keyboard language to US ASCII for Houdini only.

Dawid Antczak2
Like I said:
I open H13, randomclick&push numpadDel = .
I open H14, randomclick&push numpadDel = . or , randomly
It's not random. It is, in fact, very deterministic.

NumPadDel = ‘.’ – if you're in a numeric input field, and the field's expression mode is off.
NumPadDel= <whatever your keyboard driver tells Houdini> – if you're either in a string input field, or expression mode is on.

I just verified this, and the Polish keyboard does indeed send ‘,’ to Houdini when pressing NumPadDel. This makes sense since the decimal mark in Poland is a comma (according to Wikipedia), rather than a period.

EDIT: What you're probably running into, which may seem confusing is that if there's more than one period in the number, the field automatically switches to expression mode (since the number is no longer valid) and then you start getting a comma instead of a period.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
  • Quick Links