HIP relative path

7656   8   3
620 posts
Hi,

I noticed that if I use a local path such as “my.bgeo” ,it used home directory. Can I change this behaviors and make local path relative HIP ?
Could “$HIP/my.bgeo” be simplified to “my.bgeo” ?

Thanks.
443 posts
What about using $HOME?
1391 posts
I think that's impossible !

Because simple path such as my.bgeo is reserved by Houdini , basically simple path is pointed to Program Files\Houdini<version>\houdini\geo in Windows or \opt\Houdini<version>\houdini\geo in Linux.

If you append a File SOP , you can see it just use a simple path defgeo.bgeo , and defgeo.bgeo is available in the \Houdini<version>\houdini\geo , so if you put any custom file such as Test.bgeo in the \Houdini<version>\houdini\geo , then you can use simple path Test.bgeo for calling it in the Houdini , (and it's not good !)
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
620 posts
I think “$HIP” is redundant because you can never change it. Use “./” or just local path is enough.
1391 posts
jerry7
I think “$HIP” is redundant because you can never change it. Use “./” or just local path is enough.

What's your problem exactly ? why you wanna use different thing instead of $HIP !? :?
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
620 posts
I use touchdesigner same time. In TD local path is relative to scene. I want a consistent habit.
Staff
3455 posts
I think you can get what you want by starting Houdini in the location of your hip files…
I'm on linux so I always start Houdini from the directory where my hip files live…
I know on windows there is (or was) a setting on the application shortcut to tell windows to open the application from a particular location…instead of c/program files/houdini/…

HTH
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
379 posts
jerry7

I am using it 99% of time, and usually working and rendering on several machines….
258 posts
Use $JOB

That way you can set a project directory. When I do this I have a project directory, but unlike touch I have a hip directory instead of how the .toe files float at the root of the project. That way I have the two variables $HIP and $JOB and they are different. That way all my io expressions go like $JOB/bgeo

In certain cases I have run into trouble on a farm with $HIP, but never with $JOB

You can set aliases in Houdini a lot like you can in Touch Edit > Aliases and Variables. You can define and set whatever you want.

BTW - You can also edit the location of $HIP in the aliases and variables
  • Quick Links