Pyro FX Render Passes

9947   5   0
12 posts
Hey all, first poster here, please excuse if I am posting in the wrong area. I am a high school student trying to learn Houdini on the side, and had a question about Pyro FX. In all the VFX breakdowns I have seen online, it seems like they render out a turbulence/velocity pass, smoke pass, and fire pass separately. I have rendered to .exr files, but upon splitting the exr, there is no smoke pass. How do they get these separate smoke/fire passes? Thanks!
101 posts
Hi, to get sperate render passes , just add “extra image planes” on a mantra Rop node. You will find it in “Images/Extra Image Planes” tab (on houdini 14).
-> click on “+” button at the bottom, then you can add any vex variable name.

-> for pyro shader you can find a list of build in variables : smoke_color , smoke_mask, fire_color, fire_mask. Enter on of these in the “vex variable” field. Be careful to set the “vex type” to something suitable.

->Then you can render your image, and mantra will output a separate image plane for each vex variable you want to export ( you can render any pass you can imagine.)

Hope it helps.
https://vimeo.com/user43710534 [vimeo.com]
12 posts
Thanks gui, I tried that and the smoke_color variable is yielding what looks like more fire, not smoke, when separated out. Where can I find this list of vex variables you were speaking of?
101 posts
in the pyro shader node, go in “Utils” tab, and then “Exports” tab.
https://vimeo.com/user43710534 [vimeo.com]
12 posts
The smoke color pass is different than is shown in the color pass. I am attaching the file for everyone and anyone, let me know if anything stands out at you. Thanks so much for all of your help, gui!

Attachments:
explosion2.hipnc (3.6 MB)

12 posts
I figured it out, the error was in the rendering method I was using. PBS, for some reason, made the smoke grey in the color pass. When I switch to ray tracing, the smoke matches the smoke_color plane. Hope this helps anyone with similar problems!
  • Quick Links