How to prevent pyro smoke from moving

4689   1   1
39 posts
Hey Guys

I'm attempting to make a rocket launch and i'm using particles (old pop net) to help birth the smoke emitted by the rocket. But as smoke does it likes to move and rise upwards but i would like the smoke to have very little movement. Currently i have an issue with the smoke wanting to expand but i would like to keep it in a column shape. I've tried using drag but the results it gives are questionable and leaves breaks in the smoke as the source moves upwards. Is there another method i could use that would prevent the smoke from breaking and reducing the amount the smoke expands?

To get to this stage i used the old pop net emit from an object moving upwards and used those particles with the bellowing smoke shelf tool.

Thanks

Attachments:
cdzn8.jpg (29.7 KB)
ve3cg.jpg (34.7 KB)
9549r.jpg (50.2 KB)

1391 posts
unfortunately I don't have Houdini right now , But maybe I can help you.

Buoyancy parameters in the Pyro Solver is one of the important parameters.
Maybe for your project you should use negative value for Y axis.

Also check Turbulence parameters in the Pyro/Smoke Solver–> Shape , maybe one of the reason for expanding your smoke in the different directions is that.

another important Note is the velocity of the particles are useful is the Pyro/Smoke simulations, i.e if you create a velocity attribute for particles like this : VX = 0 , VY = -10 , VZ = 0 , so the Smoke going down along -Y axis.

even in some situations I set velocity of the particles to zero , because I wanna the particles don't affect the velocity of the simulation .

for controlling speed of smoke use Time Scale in the Solver.

I hope these can help you .
however I'll check it when I come back to my PC :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
  • Quick Links