Box Selection like in Soft?

4015   6   3
375 posts
In Soft when you draw a selection rectangle, everything that “touches” the rectangle is selected.
In Hou, when you draw a selection rectangle, everything that is inside the rectangle is selected.
How can I make Hou behave like Soft? :roll:
Houdini gamboler
375 posts
Oopps I just managed to make it work , by disabling “select visible geometry only”. however, I don't find this logical. Currently I need to select edges. Enabling this button should allow me to select edges that are in the front of the polygonal objects, and not the ones on the back.
Disabling this button should allow me to select edges that are in the front and on the back.
But if the normal behavior of the box selection is to select edges that are inside the box, the “select visible geometry only” button should not change this behavior. Not?
Houdini gamboler
Staff
5158 posts
Visible Selection Only requires that both edge endpoints be selected, otherwise backfacing edges that connect to a silhouette edge would be selected - which is very much not visible only. That's why there's a difference.
375 posts
Yes, it makes sense now
Houdini gamboler
1265 posts
I submitted a RFE for this. The box select should only select what is surrounded and not what it touches. This makes selecting of primitives or edges on sides of objects so much easier.

Here is a link to my post with animated giff to show what I mean.

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=41491&highlight=Surround [sidefx.com]
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1755 posts
This should be an addition not a replacement to the current behavior. Even in Soft you have the option to switch from one to the other.
517 posts
Wow, is there really no way to select things that are within the selection rectangle?? :shock:
Is there a way to convert point selections to edge? That might wor as a work around…
  • Quick Links