Houdini 15 viewport behaving weird.

2315   2   2
2 posts
Heloo guys..I am a totally new Houdini user and I am following the QUICKSTART GoProcedural guide from here https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1846&Itemid=351 [sidefx.com] .

Whenever I do a PolyBevel the color of the faces changes automatically as in the attached screenshot..Also time to time, things like selecting components,display of manipulators and many other things gets weird.

MY system processor is i7 and GPU is Nvidia GT840m. I believe this problem is due to my low end graphics card. If anyone is using houdini along with Nvidia840m then please tell me your graphics driver version.

Please some one point me in the right direction. I really want to learn Houdini but due to this issue I am totally stopped.

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg (371.1 KB)

51 posts
Hi
This is not an openGL issue and I believe your selection and handles problem are not related to vga, too.
the coloring of faces depends on point normals and lighting of the scene. some sops correct point normals automatically like polyBevel and poly Extrude and you can add certain nodes (like cusp, facet or vertex) for editing point normals so you can see your geometry better. also normals are important in rendering of your geo.
and I guess your handle and selection problem is because of difference between houdini selection method and other packages that takes time to master.
2 x Xeon E5-2670 - 64 GB DDR3 RAM - Nvidia GTX 960 - Win 10 64x
2 posts
Thank you so much for the reply. I guess the problem is me not the software or the hardware . I remember I used to do reverse normals in maya to get rid of the black faces.Is their any similar node in houdini?

I do have a background knowledge of modelling but I am poor at lighing,texturing..Still to learn more.
  • Quick Links