Unknown Channels

2648   4   2
2041 posts
Hello,

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the significance of the warning I get when I open the file or try to make a subnet of my two nodes as in the screenshot.

Originaly in a larger file I had made a digital asset and made a number of changes to the scripts in parameter fields with apply/accept.

I would then click apply and accept ( in the “Editor Operator Type Properties” windows as well) and those changes would get reflected in my Digital Asset.

i.e. Open new file and the imported Digital Asset worked with the new changes.

However for some reason, I made a script/parameter change and my digital asset would not update any longer ( yes, using the same save too location and name of digital asset ) and now this new warning message would come up too( as in screen shot ).

So the screen shot below represents the original file, saved to a new name, the digital asset having its contents extracted to eliminate the “subnet” and all other paramters except the one deleted, and all channel references elimintated.

And the warning message still remains.

So I am really trying to determine the importance or non-importance of this warning message because it still seems to linger in the file when in fact there is really nothing there to warrant it being there.

It makes me think that the file is corrupted somehow and that I have no recourse other than to start from scratch again.

Any help on this matter is appreciated - thank you

Attachments:
Vertice_Controller_copy3.hipnc (50.8 KB)
A.jpg (55.8 KB)

818 posts
It looks like the file got into some bad state. Maybe something to do with originally having a float parm named “first_range_position_tx”, but it was later somehow changed/forced into a float2.

You should be able to fix the warning by removing the parameter, and then add it back again with the same name. The warning probably won't cause much issue. Since the fix is not too disruptive, it'd be good to fix it.
Andrew / アンドリュー
2041 posts
Haha…thanks awong…wish I had this heads up before yesterday.

The issue came up again working on another file and had to spend a bit of trial and error time with a copy of my file figuring out how to get rid of it for good ( the warning message ).

If I remember correctly the deleting of the parameters alone is not good enough.

Because when I do that and create a new parameter then name it again with the same name, the warning message comes up again.

What does work, is what you said plus a couple other steps.

First, yes delete the parameters, but then close the file.

When the file is re-opened the original parameters are gone but now the spare parameters show up at the bottom of the Paramter Interface.

So I just delete those, close file…then reopen file and create the desired parameters again with the same name.

Then the warning message goes away.

Yes it is caused somewhere in the process of my copying/duplicating parameters and the program adding the suffix to the name to keep it unique.

Generally the whole process goes smoothly, so somewhere along the way I must occasionaly do some kind of addtional mouseclick or keypress that creates this situation.

At least now I know what to do that takes little time to rectify.

I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help.

Cheers.
818 posts
I was actually doing those same steps as you said before. Later, I thought I found a quicker way, but it looks like my test was flawed. Yes, it looks like those steps sequence of steps are the easiest way to fix the warning. :?
Andrew / アンドリュー
13 posts
Hi

*running Houdini 19.0.383+python 3.7*

I kept having similar problems trying to run a PDG calling an embeded HDA. I fixed it by making a new version of my HDA.
Digital Asset>Save as > put in new ver.
HDA is unlocked for me.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
  • Quick Links