Lumberyard Support

9740   8   1
636 posts
because the license of Amazon Lumberyard are pretty open it could be a big future game engine player. so is SESI thinking to put the support on to the roadmap? or do you think somebody of the community will do the integration?
173 posts
We need to do more exploration and see if it is possible. But at the moment we don't have anything planned. We always welcome community effort, however.

We have looked at CryEngine integration before and unfortunately it was not possible due to a number of technical limitations.
636 posts
ahh thank you for the information.

i was just interested because the most important plugins are existing from SESI or they have been made by the community(modo, 3dsmax, and somewhere is even a katana version!).

at the moment the houdini engine is just missing for Blender, Nuke, Lightwave, Lumberyard (CryEngine). with them you could reach >90% of the CG/Game market.

it's just a matter of time till you start to touch the CAD world. :wink:
just as a hint: http://www.polygonica.com/ [polygonica.com]
173 posts
I don't know about the other ones, but Blender integration might not be possible due to limitations in Blender plugin system as well as possible GPL conflict licensing issues.
636 posts
ttvdsfx
I don't know about the other ones, but Blender integration might not be possible due to limitations in Blender plugin system as well as possible GPL conflict licensing issues.

when i'm correct the GPL limitation you have over come with the thrift implementation. when the generated code can be GPL then there should be no problems. the server communicates with socket or pipe shouldn't give any problems. when i read the license of blender it looks like a smaller problem:
https://www.blender.org/about/license/ [blender.org]
you even can integrate the cycles render in houdini and you won't have any troubles with the license. :-)

the bigger challenge would be the Implementation c++ api from blender. i head some troubles with the python api and i don't think the c++ is much better. missing of documentation combined with my poor coding skills isn't a good mach. ops:
173 posts
mandrake0
ttvdsfx

when i'm correct the GPL limitation you have over come with the thrift implementation. when the generated code can be GPL then there should be no problems. the server communicates with socket or pipe shouldn't give any problems. when i read the license of blender it looks like a smaller problem:
https://www.blender.org/about/license/ [blender.org]
you even can integrate the cycles render in houdini and you won't have any troubles with the license. :-)

the bigger challenge would be the Implementation c++ api from blender. i head some troubles with the python api and i don't think the c++ is much better. missing of documentation combined with my poor coding skills isn't a good mach. ops:

We would have to fork Blender and do changes in that fork it seems. A lot of integrations with Blender seem to follow this pattern. My personal experience with Blender plugins is not good and knowledge of Blender code is limited, it's been a while since I have looked at it.

Our thirft implementation might help, but there are still questions (like whether we would have to open source our thrift / HAPIL point - you would have to link to it or dynamically load). I am not a GPL guru however

I think it is one of those cases when it would definitely help if this project was started by the community.
636 posts
i have to make my hands any way dirty with thrift so i will learn first thrift. maybe i miss something that will violate the blender integration. when i have time and more knowledge of c++ i will look into the blender plugin but it won't be soon.
118 posts
Just bumping this thread.

Is there any plans in the future for a CryEngine or Lumberyard support with Houdini Engine? Thanks.

Glen
603 posts
No but you should ask those vendors about it. Since all our DCC engine plugins are on github it wouldn't be too hard for someone else to get something going.
Edited by chrisgreb - April 8, 2020 11:24:00
  • Quick Links