popsolver1 node causing particles to become black

10755   9   0
1 posts
I am running tutorials through digital tutors. I selected the fire extinguisher and used a source particle and it turns into a block box. When I play it back the particles are just black and not separate from each other. Why is the pop solver node causing this to happen?

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (412.8 KB)

Trevor Hileman
2528 posts
It may be related to your graphics hardware. Go ahead and put your machine specs in your signature.
Also press the D-KEY while your mouse is over the 3D window to bring up the display options. Make sure you have HDR rendering under the Effects tab enabled.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
1 posts
trevorscotthileman
I am running tutorials through digital tutors. I selected the fire extinguisher and used a source particle and it turns into a block box. When I play it back the particles are just black and not separate from each other. Why is the pop solver node causing this to happen?

Trevor, did you find a solution to this issue? I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. I'm a total Houdini beginner (second tutorial). I did notice that in ‘Wireframe’ view, the particles are there, so I'm guessing it's something to do with how they're being rendered in my viewport?

I've checked my drivers are up to date etc. Any input would be appreciated!

System specs:
GeForce GTX 980Ti
Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2670 v3 @2.30GHz
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Cheers,
Chris
4 posts
While this may already have been figured out, I ran into this issue today and managed to fix it for myself. All I had to do was hit D (while hovering over viewport) and on the particles section of the geometry tab, make sure that display sprites was ticked off.
Oddly enough it only occurred when I plugged in a mocapbiped via a file merge into a geometry particle set-up, as opposed to a sphere.
4 posts
Kev Ryan
While this may already have been figured out, I ran into this issue today and managed to fix it for myself. All I had to do was hit D (while hovering over viewport) and on the particles section of the geometry tab, make sure that display sprites was ticked off.
Oddly enough it only occurred when I plugged in a mocapbiped via a file merge into a geometry particle set-up, as opposed to a sphere.
Oh man, very appreciated that you share the solution with us. Thank you very much.
Have a nice day bro.
7733 posts
If you remove ‘shop_materialpath’ attribute on your source geometry, the sprite display issue should go away without having to explicitly disable sprite display.
1 posts
ChrisSchofield
trevorscotthileman

Trevor, did you find a solution to this issue? I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. I'm a total Houdini beginner (second tutorial). I did notice that in ‘Wireframe’ view, the particles are there, so I'm guessing it's something to do with how they're being rendered in my viewport?

I've checked my drivers are up to date etc. Any input would be appreciated!

System specs:
GeForce GTX 980Ti
Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2670 v3 @2.30GHz
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Cheers,
Chris
Yeah dude <3 that all, love ya ma' men.
10 posts
Yes disabling sprites in the Geometry tab of Display (D) settings works. Which is odd because my .obj doesn't appear to contain sprite attributes..
Veiwing in wireframe view also works
1736 posts
If you're using any of the test geometry as a base (pig head, rubber toy, tommy), they have a shop_materialpath defined. This is inherited by the particles, where it's assumed that the material must be a sprite shader. It's not. As such, it renders black.

Most of the test geometry nodes have an ‘add shader’ toggle, turn it off.

-matt
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
159 posts
But what if i want to have texture of the instanced objects? Is good workflow to put an assemble sop to pack after my copytopints through which i have the objects instanced on the popnet, and i add a material sop after after unpacking?

Something like this bellow?

Edited by MilanB - Sept. 21, 2020 04:00:27
  • Quick Links