Get rid of Fire Flies - tip

   2573   1   0
User Avatar
Member
94 posts
Joined: March 2013
Offline
This was frustrating me, so I wanted to share a solution.

Fire flies. If this has already been shared some where, my apologies…I just wasn't finding a solution…but figured out a simple and effective solution. I haven't tried this in every different shader. But would assume it should still apply in a similar manner. Like in maya a clamp seems to be a good solution. Kind of nice to put it in the shader instead of affecting the whole scene like MR for maya. So, kudos to houdini. What I did was drop a clamp between the surface model and the surface output. Specifically I clamped the Surface Color or Cf. Now, don't forget this last part…The clamp killed the vibrancy. So I changed the Max value to 2,2,2. This brought back the vibrancy but kept out the fire flies. So, play around with that to find something that works but is acceptable.

[flic.kr]fireFlies [flic.kr] by jibadajaba [flickr.com], on Flickr

[flic.kr]clamp2 [flic.kr] by jibadajaba [flickr.com], on Flickr
Edited by tadian - May 28, 2016 15:01:44
User Avatar
Member
2624 posts
Joined: Aug. 2006
Offline
Interesting ,any chance I can see an example file of the fireflies in a render with he render ROP settings and the HDR thats creating them.

Rob
Edited by circusmonkey - May 28, 2016 18:29:02
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links