Folders / Files installed MyDocuments ?

   6669   16   2
User Avatar
Member
767 posts
Joined: April 2014
Offline
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but does Houdini, all flavors (Indie \ Apprentice \ Regular) install any folders / files in the C:\user\userName\MyDocuments folder structure in Windows10 ?
Edited by _Christopher_ - June 7, 2016 21:33:31
【T】【C】【S】
User Avatar
Staff
3466 posts
Joined: July 2005
Offline
yep
there should be a folder named HoudiniXX.X - X's being the major version number - 15.0, 15.5 etc
and inside are mostly preference files and other nice things.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
User Avatar
Member
767 posts
Joined: April 2014
Offline
arctor
yep
there should be a folder named HoudiniXX.X - X's being the major version number - 15.0, 15.5 etc
and inside are mostly preference files and other nice things.

There is no Houdini folder within the path; C:\Users\UserName\Documents, in Windows10 but Hoduini works ?
Edited by _Christopher_ - June 8, 2016 16:48:03
【T】【C】【S】
User Avatar
Member
8 posts
Joined: June 2016
Offline
Hi Sorry but how do i start a new topic ? All I can seem to do is reply to posts, am I missing something obvious ? Thanks
User Avatar
Member
767 posts
Joined: April 2014
Offline
LBuddha
Hi Sorry but how do i start a new topic ? All I can seem to do is reply to posts, am I missing something obvious ? Thanks
Login, select a sub-forum topic for which you want to post, then near the top of the page, to the right, you should see "New Topic". I hope that helps
【T】【C】【S】
User Avatar
Member
8 posts
Joined: June 2016
Offline
Thanks Christopher, but I'm afraid that i do not have “New Topic” where you said it should be….thought I was going crazy but its definitely not there !
User Avatar
Staff
3466 posts
Joined: July 2005
Offline
here I am inside the Houdini Indie and Apprentice subforum
do you not see this button?

Attachments:
new_topic.jpg (205.9 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
User Avatar
Member
8 posts
Joined: June 2016
Offline
No, arctor, I do not see it there ! I looked there just a moment ago and I do not have that button. Im using Chrome on Windows 8.1….has anyone else had this problem ? Really annoying because I have a question on crowd simulation
User Avatar
Member
767 posts
Joined: April 2014
Offline
LBuddha maybe your question is that far off to my original question which I feel the same as you trying to find a Houdini folder in the path for which I mentioned in my original post and I still can't.

I hope you find the New Topic button, soon so you can begin to ask your questions.
Edited by _Christopher_ - June 8, 2016 22:44:01
【T】【C】【S】
User Avatar
Member
8 posts
Joined: June 2016
Offline
Thanks Christopher and arctor, I logged in today and the New Topic button is there ! Yes I think it was because although I had activated my SideFX account, I only noticed a “confirm subscription” email today…having confirmed subscription I can now add a New Topic…Good Luck with resolving your problem Christopher, im on Win 8.1 and have a houdini15.5 folder in C:\Users\username\Documents
User Avatar
Staff
3466 posts
Joined: July 2005
Offline
there was a new Rule on the forums preventing new users from posting a New topic until after they had posted 5 replies in other topics - this is one of the ways forums prevent spam - but we've turned it off now
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
User Avatar
Member
767 posts
Joined: April 2014
Offline
I look and look and I can't find a Houdini folder in the Documents, formally, MyDocuments folder in Windows10.
【T】【C】【S】
User Avatar
Staff
3466 posts
Joined: July 2005
Offline
Christopher R
I look and look and I can't find a Houdini folder in the Documents, formally, MyDocuments folder in Windows10.

can you run Houdini?
if so try this:
open a Textport (Windows > Hscript Textport)
type: echo $HOME
what does it return?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
User Avatar
Member
767 posts
Joined: April 2014
Offline
The path it returns for Houdini is no where related to anything Houdini, rather another image viewer configuration path. Apparently Houdini is reading the System Variable=HOME which is a custom path on my system, any reason for this ?
【T】【C】【S】
User Avatar
Staff
3466 posts
Joined: July 2005
Offline
the path that $HOME returns shouldn't have anything to do with Houdini - it's not a Houdini path but a operating system path - your Home
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3234-environment-variables-windows-10-a.html [tenforums.com]

what path did the above steps give you?

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
User Avatar
Member
767 posts
Joined: April 2014
Offline
arctor
the path that $HOME returns shouldn't have anything to do with Houdini - it's not a Houdini path but a operating system path - your Home
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3234-environment-variables-windows-10-a.html [tenforums.com]

what path did the above steps give you?

The path $Home returned was associated with an image viewer I installed months ago, to which I didn't delete the program path on my computer because, before being aware Houdini was writing information to this path, another program as well was writing information to this path as well.

I'm going to have to dig into this problem and change the path to another custom location for Houdini
【T】【C】【S】
User Avatar
Staff
3466 posts
Joined: July 2005
Offline
if $HOME is associated with any program at all that is very wrong - it will mess up lots of other programs.

hope you get it sorted.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links