nodal flow diagram for Houdini?

3453   5   0
2 posts
Hi
I am fairly new to Houdini. I have used katana in production in three diff companies for the last five shows.
I'm just wondering, does anyone know if SideFX has any plans to implement anything like the node graph Katana uses, or is anyone working on something like this as a plugin?. Does my question even make sense in the context of Houdini?

From my point of view it's the best thing to have happened in lighting since I started working in the industry and would love to see it in houdini

thanks

Conor
459 posts
Is the node graph in Katana any different from the Network Editor in Houdini? I have never tried Katana so i wouldn't know, but the Network Editor in Houdini is all about nodes.

-b
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
373 posts
There is nothing like Katana in Houdini in the context of lighting and rendering – however I also think it could be pretty awesome to build up your renders using nodes in a similar fashion. You can currently build up render dependencies using the nodes really well… but right now you only have to use the rop's object lists and then all the settings on the rop itself… and materials are typically assigned in the object or now using material style sheets or takes. It's not a bad system, but a katana-style system for render passes would be awesome, and could totally fit Houdini well if done right.
Ian Farnsworth
459 posts
Sounds interesting.

-b
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
2624 posts
conomara
Hi
I am fairly new to Houdini. I have used katana in production in three diff companies for the last five shows.
I'm just wondering, does anyone know if SideFX has any plans to implement anything like the node graph Katana uses, or is anyone working on something like this as a plugin?. Does my question even make sense in the context of Houdini?

From my point of view it's the best thing to have happened in lighting since I started working in the industry and would love to see it in houdini

Lets hope not > I think you will find once you get stuck into a Houdini work flow, you will realise Katana is a poor mans Houdini.
Gone fishing
2 posts
OK, great answers, the last one from circusmonkey prob very true, I'll get my shizzle together regarding Houdini workflow and then see whats what

thanks for all replies
super useful

conor
  • Quick Links