Error: Unable to read file [.obj, .dxf, .stl]

4275   7   2
350 posts
Can't load dxf, .obj as well as .stl files!
Get the error
Error: Unable to read file …

The only geometry files that seem to load without error are .bgeo and .fbx files.

Also I upgraded to latest build 15.5.632

Possibly related to a corrupt config or other file in my $HOME directory?

Also tried removing spaces from filenames and moving the geometry file to C:\ to eliminate pathing errors

Running Windows 10.
Edited by art3mis - Nov. 27, 2016 20:24:29
806 posts
Moin,

just to be on the safe side - have you tried with a trivial OBJ file, like a single triangle, hand-written into the .obj? If that also fails, there must something odd (at least I can, without any issues, import some obj test files here into 15.5.632).
If it does *not* fail, there's still the chance that your files are corrupt in some weird way, although that sounds unlikely for several different files …

Marc
Edited by malbrecht - Nov. 28, 2016 03:16:26
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
182 posts
Do you by any chance have numbers in your file names ( versions etc ) ?
By default Houdini will try to detect sequences and replace them with a frame expression ( $F ) unless you uncheck “show sequences as one entry” in the file open dialog.
350 posts
Thanks. No numbers. Tried with ‘show sequences as one entry’ checked and unchecked. its NOT the specific .hip as I've created a bare bones .hip with a single File node…same issue.(attached)
Perhaps some obscure preference I'm not aware of?

Attachments:
file_import.hiplc (47.5 KB)

806 posts
The file references “Nymph.stl”, which I do not have … simply loading another obj from the file node works fine here.

Marc
Edited by malbrecht - Nov. 28, 2016 08:14:50
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
350 posts
Yes, something specific to the Indie install on my Windows machine
Exact same file(s) import without issue on my Mac using Apprentice.
Will keep troubleshooting. Maybe some 3rd party otl I've installed or?
806 posts
> Maybe some 3rd party otl I've installed or?

would be interesting to know how a 3rd party tool interferes with a clean Houdini installation (which is what you did - at least in my understanding) … still, it seems to be something machine-specific.

Marc
---
Good bye.
350 posts
Feedback from sesi finally figured this out

My houdini.env was at fault

Missing
C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 15.5.632/bin;
in my PATH variable
Edited by art3mis - Nov. 29, 2016 23:00:42
  • Quick Links