Moving Flame

1876   3   1
12 posts
Hey Everyone,

I made a scene of a lantern that hangs from a cart that is being pulled in Modo and it swings back and fourth. I got it to import into Houdini and applied the pyro FX to it. But I am pretty sure its moving to fast and it wont light properly(Like a flame inside a glass lantern). I was reading up on this trying to figure it out, but couldn't really find a clear answer. But then I read somewhere, might have actually been a google search through this site, that I might want to do particles with vdb qualities? Is this correct? Anywhere to get a video of something like this? Or can I still do it the way I already started?

Thanks everyone. I will keep trying..
806 posts
Moin,

I am not fully understanding what you are meaning with “it is moving to fast” - do you mean that the simulation is running too fast? Do you mean that the cart is moving too fast? If the later, you may have to check the fps settings, modo used to be extremely buggy when it comes to exporting Alembic (for example).

What do you mean by “particles with vdb qualities”?

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
2624 posts
Your right pyro does not work well at all on fast moving objects ie missile trails , but a cart with a lantern swinging on the back is in the realms of should work just fine. Please fee free to post your scene and we can take a look . Export out of Modo as an alembic file.

rob
Gone fishing
12 posts
Thanks for the help. Yeah the flame just moves too fast then the flame does like a drag. Which makes sense technically. I am taking a big step back and going to try and do more basic tutorials to get a better understanding of whats under the hood of houdini. I just find myself, trying to find too many answers with technical responses that I am not understanding. I think I just jumped into something too complex too fast. I will keep you guys posted though.

Great forums!
  • Quick Links