Alembic camera matching?

3376   2   0
177 posts
Hi all,

Just trying to see how things work here and exported a simple camera move on some geometry in Cinema 4D and then exported that as Alembic for import into Houdini.

The frame-by-frame camera animation does not match. It's close, but I need a perfect match.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Jim
Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
2529 posts
I would say that is normal, I have not encountered a single camera match that is pixel perfect. Especially when solving from footage. There is always an “error” value associated with the solve. But in your case it is a virtual camera move in a virtual space.

You could check some of the basics like is the FPS matched between apps? C4D might default to 29.97 whereas Houdini defaults to 24fps. Also make sure the Camera is not scaled before output.

Is it a lens setting perhaps? Are you using a lens shader in Houdini to emulate the C4D environment?

Did you try importing the C4D Alembic back into C4D. Does it match itself?
Edited by Enivob - March 30, 2017 20:12:59
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
177 posts
The only ‘camera match’ I've used that is perfect is between C4D and After Effects. And it goes both ways.
It's pretty amazing.

I know there is a Python script that will export a Houdini camera and nulls or other objects as nulls into a script you can run in After Effects, and that has worked in the past, but for this project, I haven't been able to get it to work as desired.
Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
  • Quick Links