H16 Muscle System

5214   15   3
40 posts
any tutorial on H16 Muscle system ???
Staff
635 posts
FarrokhSarram
any tutorial on H16 Muscle system ???

Coming very soon. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Cristin
40 posts
WooowWWWWWWW

Thank Youuuuuuuuu

Thank You for reply

14 posts
Yes, very excited. The documentation on this is slim. Also, I just saw Ziva Dynamics muscle systems and really want to see how Houdini holds up in comparison to that. Thanks, and looking forward to it!
Edited by bakerstudent - April 14, 2017 09:11:57
40 posts
No H16 Muscle system tutorial yet
402 posts
Hi Farrokh,

we might have to wait until the system comes out of beta before we see the tutorials
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/character/muscles [sidefx.com]
Henry Dean
7709 posts
Sorry for the delay, but trust me, we're working on it! As we've been doing the tutorials, we've been improving things at the same time.
40 posts
Thank You edward
4189 posts
Does muscle_deform work with the capture_cache node? Seems to be in conflict where the muscle_deform isn't updated if you muscle capture then skin capture.

Thx!
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - May 2, 2017 13:39:20

Attachments:
MuscleDeform.png (71.4 KB)
Muscle_DeformTest1.hiplc (339.3 KB)

402 posts
I think the muscle deform belongs downstream of the skin capturing and deformation (bone based)… The intended flow of things I believe is to use the skin deformation to deform the muscle centers, which is then used by the muscle displace node to work out the direction in which the projection should take place.
Henry Dean
4189 posts
hope not - that loses the advantages of biharmonic skin weighting, leading to intersecting geo.
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - May 2, 2017 14:45:58
402 posts
Hmmm, not quite sure I follow on the biharmonic capturing preventing intersecting geometry…

The stash node just enables us to hold a copy of the incoming geometry in it's state at a given point in time so that the upstream dependencies are no longer ‘live’. In this case you'd also be storing the result of the muscle deform, and we'd have to manually stash the result each time a change occurred to see the result.

If you take a look at the deform_centres node, you'll see that currently you've got both the ‘rest’ points and the ‘deform’ points being taken from the same node, so you'd never actually be moving the muscle centres at all, which could result in very strange displacements in the best case.

Worth noting that the muscle deform node doesn't actually do any capturing as such, it acts as a bulge deformer. So another problem would be that the biharmonic capture node would recook every time a muscle changes shape.

Hope I've been making some kind of sense

EDIT: sorry, I meant muscle deform node
Edited by friedasparagus - May 2, 2017 15:07:53
Henry Dean
4189 posts
fair enough - looking at the following example would you say that the bad muscle deformation is unresolvable. I would have put it down to not being weighted correctly.
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - May 2, 2017 15:18:57

Attachments:
Muscle_DeformTest3.hiplc (599.7 KB)
BadMuscle.png (208.4 KB)
MuscleBone_swap.png (49.4 KB)

402 posts
From first glance it looks like the muscle deform is possibly being asked to do too much… I've always found any kid of muscle system (especially normal based deformers) to be really disappointing when testing out in trivial settings.

The geometry you have is very thin relative to how far apart the origin and insertion of the muscle are and I'm struggling to think of an anatomical setting where this occurs. Like I said, I've always looked at my trivial tests I've done and noticed that actually I've asked the tool to do something really quite extreme.

So anyway ‘unresolvable’ it probably isn't, but I'd say that it is quite an extreme case. However it would be interesting to test this case out on the tissue system. You'd just need to stick some pins down or create some ‘anatomical’ bones to stop the tube from hanging off the muscle
Henry Dean
4189 posts
Cool stuff - thanks for the knowledge!- tendons from the wrist to the thumb kind of emulate that setup.
402 posts
Ha! Yes, good example. Although the range of movement in abduction is still quite small and the surrounding ‘stuff’ never really displays any concavity (broadly speaking, of course there is the anatomical ‘snuff box’ ) so I reckon you'd still able to get half decent results
Henry Dean
  • Quick Links