Houdini 16 - Importing geometry that isn't part of a sequence

3131   5   1
10 posts
Hey Everyone,
Ever since upgrading to Houdini 16 I've had an issue with importing files from Maya. Whether it's an .obj, ,fbx, or alembic file, if the ‘Show sequences as one entry’ box is not checked, the file is grayed out and I cant select it for import. If I check the box to import as a sequence then the object only comes in for one frame. For ecample, if I bring in the object ‘Cube_03.obj’ the cube only exists of frame 3. In Houdini 15, if the ‘Show sequences as one entry’ box is unchecked, the object can be brought in and exist on every frame. Am I missing some new import setting or workflow?

Thanks for the help!

Houdini 16 on Windows 10
Edited by bleedblue128 - April 28, 2017 12:26:04
280 posts
you can just type the file name with the full path… or i prefer relative path so instead of dproject/test.$F.obj type $HIP/test.3.obj
10 posts
That did the trick, thanks for the response! Any idea if this is just a bug on my end that's preventing me from importing normally?
1743 posts
What build of Houdini 16.0 are you using? For example, the latest daily build is Houdini 16.0.593, and the latest production build is Houdini 16.0.557. I made a change to the file chooser recently that is related to this case, but I can't reproduce this issue with a single file named “Cube_03.obj” in Houdini 16.0.587.

How are you “importing” the file? Are you clicking the File shelf tool, using the “Open floating file chooser” button next to the Geometry File parameter on the File SOP, or using File > Import > Geometry? All 3 of those seem to work for me. Are there any other files with similar names in the same directory? (e.g. “Cube_12.obj” or “Cube_12345.obj”)
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
10 posts
I'm using 16.0.504.2 so maybe that's my problem. I'm experiencing the issue no matter how I bring in the file. It does the same thing when I bring in FBXs and alembic files too, whether I go to ‘File Import’ or do it inside the node's parameter. I'll try updating to the latest build and see if that fixes my problem.
Thanks for the help!
10 posts
Updating my build seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again for the help!
  • Quick Links