License

1695   1   0
25 posts
Hey there.

So about a month or two ago , or maybe less I found an issue with my graphics card not seating right, so I reseated it…

This reseating caused the server code to change. Around this time houdini license server refused to allow me to use houdini.

I fixed it by returning the license and reinstalling it under a new server code ( but again, same computer )

Today, I updated to the latest windows and upon trying to launch houdini, once again it looks like the server code changed… I dont mind the annoyance of it all but the fact that i was told that I cant return the license anymore….

How will I deal with the next time I install a patch or something that might change my server code…

I understand when the hardware changes the server code would be different, but when I install an update to windows too?
Maybe the houdini return license rate could be made so we have two activations per month or so? because you never know what could happen within this time. Sort of how with ZBrush I can move my license over to another computer at any time. Its a subscription license and not a permanent, so I doubt anyone would be reselling their houdini indie license Makes that level of protection sort of silly imo.
25 posts
Ok so it has happened again.

This time I am not sure what changed the server code. All I did was update nvidia drivers.
Houdini license is WAYYYY too sensitive to system changes I would understand locking to ethernet card, or motherboard id.. but when a video card is taken out, or ram count changed, or windows update installed, and now all I did today was unplug the dvi/display port cables from one video card to move them to another card ( I did not plug any video card in or out of the computer physically, but windows 10 wouldnt load because it's got a bug where sometimes it will load to a bogus monitor, so all you see is a black screen. The solution is to move the cables over, load windows and then move the cables back to the other card again ).. , but if this caused the houdini licensing to seize then it is a bit much.

So now that I do not have any more returns for the license, what am I to do?

I got some freelance I need to do, and I still have more training to create I am in the progress of working on.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw that there is a reinstall option in the license manager after looking at the entitlements. So I did not have to return the license after all. A mere reinstall was all I needed to do. All good for now.
Edited by Martin Krol - June 1, 2017 09:46:04
  • Quick Links