Is HeightField Paint SOP supported?

3362   4   1
466 posts
I've been trying to make the HeightField Paint SOP work in Unity, but the controls do not appear like they do with an Edit SOP.

Is HeightField painting supported in the current version of Houdini Engine? If not, are there any possible workarounds?
571 posts
No, HeightField Painting SOPs are not supported in the Unity plugin. HeightField themselves are not directly supported. The workaround would be to convert the heightfield, then apply an Edit SOP, and expose that node in the Editable Nodes field. Should get similar functionality.
466 posts
Thanks Seelan. I was using HF converted to polygons, with the HF Paint SOP placed upstream. The only thing that didn't work was that node.
Well, back to Edit SOP and polygons then.

BTW, is there a way of turning off “Edit” functionality in Unity's Edit SOP controls (CTRL key), leaving only “View” and Sculpt buttons and hotkeys? I frequently find myself thrown into “Edit” mode after attempting to press CTRL+Z to undo the last operation. This wouldn't be a problem if Edit mode didn't bring the viewport to a crawl, even with a mesh with only four thousand points. Something with HE's graphical representation of points in Unity perhaps?

Oh, one more thing. Is there a list of Houdini features that work and don't work in HE for Unity? I'd like to plan things ahead.
Edited by ajz3d - June 12, 2017 15:18:04
571 posts
I'll look into what we can do about the Edit functionality, whether that is disabling / locking it out, or perhaps making the drawing points faster.

I am putting together a list of working and unsupported features, and will post an update. In the mean time, and going forward, please let us know if you do come across features that aren't working as you'd expect.
466 posts
seelanv
I am putting together a list of working and unsupported features, and will post an update.
Great. This list will be very handy.
In the mean time, and going forward, please let us know if you do come across features that aren't working as you'd expect.
Will do!
  • Quick Links